Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: beaat off


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 187
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    beaat off

    Hi, does anybody know a synonym for "beat off"
    e.g. "beating off a challenge from a company"

    thanks

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 45,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: beaat off

    Resisting, fighting

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2005
    • Posts: 2,047
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: beaat off

    Repel? Successfully defend?


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 150
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: beaat off

    I know many, many synonyms for "beat off", but not in the context you asked for.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,873
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: beaat off

    Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi, does anybody know a synonym for "beat off"
    e.g. "beating off a challenge from a company"

    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Resisting, fighting

    I agree, but without any direct contact/conflict.

    Acme Inc. makes an offer for Somebiz Enterprises. Somebiz thinks it's being undervalued, and advises its shareholders not to accept the offer. Somebiz survives, beating off the challenge from Acme.

    b

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: beaat off

    Quote Originally Posted by boothling View Post
    I know many, many synonyms for "beat off", but not in the context you asked for.





    (Seeing thread titles like "beat off," "whiskey" and "sperm" on the front page will no doubt make some newcomers wonder what in the world goes on in this forum.)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2005
    • Posts: 2,047
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: beaat off

    "Oh my goodness!" he ejaculated, "I think I'll have another drink."

  3. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: beaat off

    Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    "Oh my goodness!" he ejaculated, "I think I'll have another drink."

  4. retro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 347
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: beaat off

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post





    (Seeing thread titles like "beat off," "whiskey" and "sperm" on the front page will no doubt make some newcomers wonder what in the world goes on in this forum.)
    They will surely rush in; nobody can beat 'em off; .
    Last edited by retro; 22-Dec-2006 at 23:50.


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 187
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: beaat off

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I agree, but without any direct contact/conflict.

    Acme Inc. makes an offer for Somebiz Enterprises. Somebiz thinks it's being undervalued, and advises its shareholders not to accept the offer. Somebiz survives, beating off the challenge from Acme.

    b
    I think as a summery, beating off means resisting the challenge from....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •