Thread: pronounced

Post Thanks / Like

pronounced

I know what "pronounce"(= to say it verbal) mean, but in this sentence is said in another meaning, can you help me:
    "when the songs were not ordered by rank, but the number of times they had been downloaded was displayed, the effect of social influence was still there but was less pronounced".
    It is about that people can be easily influenced in a supermarket what they choose to buy following the herd.
    thanks

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: pronounced

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    I know what "pronounce"(= to say it verbal) mean, but in this sentence is said in another meaning, can you help me:
    "when the songs were not ordered by rank, but the number of times they had been downloaded was displayed, the effect of social influence was still there but was less pronounced".
    It is about that people can be easily influenced in a supermarket what they choose to buy following the herd.
    thanks

Hi

".....was less marked/ emphasized/stressed." [relative synonyms]

Best wishes

coolman is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    Here is my suggestion
    when the songs were not ordered by rank, but the number of times they had been downloaded was displayed, the effect of social influence was still there but was less obvious, evident.

BEST REGARDS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coolman View Post
    Here is my suggestion

when the songs were not ordered by rank, but the number of times they had been downloaded was displayed, the effect of social influence was still there but was less obvious, evident.

BEST REGARDS
    and which one is correct

Post Thanks / Like

Both obviousand evident fit the context.

noticeable would be my choice.

Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, bevore the NEW YEAR is coming, some questions....not to leave the work in the next year:
    1)what does "creaking airline industry in Amerika" mean
    2) "a friendly approach was rejected" It is about the hostile takeover launched by US Airways to Delta. Does approach = a try mean?
    3)to appeal to = to cater for
    4) to emerge from bankruptcy = to come into existence, to come from
    5)to go ahead = to proceed, to move forward
    6)staggering = overhelming (about having lost for about $35billion)
    7)"this year will end up in profit" = to be finally
    8) "next year it expects significant operation profits as demand picks up andcost savings take effect, though restructuring costs will keep net results in the red.
    significant = more, a lots of
    picks up = to raise
    to take effect = to be in effect
    in the red = in minus
    9) concession ?
    10) airlines dodged = avoided the bankruptcy bullet?
    11) confidence= trust , assurance
    12)to rake in operation profit = to take a lots of profit?
    13) grim?
    14)for their part = on the part of their site?
    It is all, thanks

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, bevore the NEW YEAR is coming, some questions....not to leave the work in the next year:
    1)what does "creaking airline industry in Amerika" mean "creaking" implies that the industry is no longer running smoothly
    2) "a friendly approach was rejected" It is about the hostile takeover launched by US Airways to Delta. Does approach = a try mean? US Airways made an offer for Delta which was refused - they approached the Board with an offer
    3)to appeal to = to cater for is attractive to the customer
    4) to emerge from bankruptcy = to come into existence, to come from come out of bankruptcy - they have managed to stabilise their finanacial affairs
    5)to go ahead = to proceed, to move forward
    6)staggering = overwhelming (about having lost for about $35billion) "staggering" implies unimaginable losses
    7)"this year will end up in profit" = to be finally At the end of the year the company will show an operating profit
    8) "next year it expects significant operation profits as demand picks up and cost savings take effect, though restructuring costs will keep net results in the red.
    significant = more, a lots of a noticeably larger operating profit level
    picks up = to raise More like "increases"
    to take effect = to be in effect increasing demand and better economy are becoming a positive influence
    in the red = in minus costs of restructure are more than the amount of the operating profit, so yes, minus
    9) concession ? Need context
    10) airlines dodged = avoided the bankruptcy bullet? metaphorical bullet - the airlines have avoided the potentially lethal dangers of bankruptcy
    11) confidence= trust , assurance
    12)to rake in operation profit = to take a lots of profit?
    13) grim? Need context
    14)for their part = on the part of their site? Their contribution
    It is all, thanks

Happy New Year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Happy New Year
    Hi, some questions again , which I didn't understand and could't find any synonym:
    1) again " a friendly approach was rejected"
    2) "The boss decided to appeal to the bankrupt airline's creditors"
    3)"As a result of these job cuts and concessions (= a licence) won from unions, labour productivity has risen by one-third.
    4)"the fule prices soar but other low-cost carriers have not been doing so well. JetBlue has had a grim 18 months.
    5) this sentence I don't understand:
    "At one point four of America's six big airlines were in Chapter 11. US Airways emerged (getting better?)last year, thanks to a merger with America West, and United Airlines escaped in February after three years. Today only Delta and Northwest are still in Chapter 11."
    What does it mean that an airline is in Chapter...
    thank you

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, some questions again , which I didn't understand and could't find any synonym:
    1) again " a friendly approach was rejected" The company attempting to purchase made a friendly [as opposed to "hostile"] approach ; This link explains the difference between them: Takeover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2) "The boss decided to appeal to the bankrupt airline's creditors" He asked the creditors to give the company more time - he appealed to their good nature.
    3)"As a result of these job cuts and concessions (= a licence) won from unions, labour productivity has risen by one-third. a concession is where someone admits defeat in a disagreement; in this context it means that the unions have agreed to working conditions and terms laid down by the management.
    4)"the fule prices soar but other low-cost carriers have not been doing so well. JetBlue has had a grim 18 months. gloomy
    5) this sentence I don't understand:
    "At one point four of America's six big airlines were in Chapter 11. US Airways emerged (getting better?)last year, thanks to a merger with America West, and United Airlines escaped in February after three years. Today only Delta and Northwest are still in Chapter 11."
    What does it mean that an airline is in Chapter... The Chapter of the Bankruptcy Code providing (generally) for reorganization, usually involving a corporation or partnership. (A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time. People in business or individuals can also seek relief in chapter 11.)
    thank you