tuanlinh is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Plz help!I'm preparing for my oral test,check my papers

I'm first year university student and now i'm preparing for my oral English test. Here are my drafts. Could you ckeck them for me. Thanks in advance
    1)about what you do in your free time
    Whenever I have free time, I love watching TV, surfing the internet and hanging out with my friends.
    - As the TV now has a cable network, it provides us with a variety of programmes. “MTV”, “Cartoon network”, “HBO” and “CNN” are my favorite channels. I think watching TV is not only one way of relaxation but getting knowledge as well. I often listen carefully to the programme and take notes what I hear. By doing so, I can improve my English listening skill and my vocabulary along with having fun with my favorite programs.
    - Surfing the internet also gives me a lot of pleasure. I can widen my knowledge by reading an e-newspaper, searching for a field I care about while I listen to a song downloaded from the internet. I feel it makes the most of my free time.
    - As I am now getting busier and busier, I nearly don’t have time chatting with my friends so when I have free time I often hang out with them. We will sit in our favorite place, talk about what we’ve done, complain about what makes us not feel happy with, and even ask for advice on something. Then we’ll eat food we all like. After each gathering I always feel comfortable and ready for up-coming events.
    2)about a typical day in your life
    My 24 hour day usually begins at 7 a.m. The first thing I do when I open my eyes is to turn on the TV to listen to “Xone FM” – my favorite music program, just to lighten up my day^^. Since my parents are busy with work, I am the person who often prepare breakfast for my family. After doing some chores I start my studying day. As a university student I prefer learning on computer. I usually read English e-newspapers for an hour then search for some documents I want to know about. For the rest of the morning I have to read books on certain subjects at school, such as math and economics because I have lessons in the afternoon. For lunch time, I often eat alone or sometimes with my father. I go to school by bus with a friend. On the way to school we mainly talk about our lessons. I make most of my time at school, interact with other students on my lessons, do some research or read documents. When I get home from the university, my evening is spent with my family. I help my mother in the kitchen. I must admit that I doing such work as it helps me learn how to prepare a good meal. After dinner time is studying time again. I find it more effective to study at home so I often do homework until late at night. Listening to a song I like before going to bed helps me relaxed. I often go to bed at 0 am or later. However, I always try to make everyday a difference to make it interesting.
    3)about the way you dress
    Like many other girls I pay much attention to fashion. To me the way I dress is partly affected by 3 factors : music, film and my personality. I love rock and R’n’B music so I choose sports clothes as my style. I often go to school wearing jeans with a T-shirt and sport shoes. I also prefer embroidered short-sleeved blouse and baggy pants. Wearing clothes that suits me makes me feel comfortable, confident and more dynamic. I can efficiently study and take part in school’s activities.
    - Casual clothes, especially jeans and street or skate clothes are the best policy for outside school’s activities. I like baggy trousers and cartoon T-shirts along with a trucker hat. Unlike many girls I hate skirts so I don’t often have them in my wardrobe^^. Whenever I come across a new style I often mix my clothes to create new one that are suitable for me. Simplicty and convinience and fashion is the goal to help me choose clothes for outdoor activities.
    - However, on some special occasions I have to wear more formally so I select “ao dai”. I have my dress modernized, which makes it both traditional and fashionable. I feel very proud whenever I have it on.
    I think the way you dress partly reflects what you are. So I always choose clothes that are both comfortable and suitable for me.

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plz help!I'm preparing for my oral test,check my papers

Quote Originally Posted by tuanlinh View Post
    I'm first year university student and now i'm preparing for my oral English test. Here are my drafts. Could you check them for me. Thanks in advance
    1)about what you do in your free time
    Whenever I have free time, I love to spend it watching TV, surfing the internet or hanging out with my friends.
    - As the TV now has a cable network, it provides me with a variety of programmes. “MTV”, “Cartoon network”, “HBO” and “CNN” are my favorite channels. I think watching TV is not only a way to relax but also a way of gaining knowledge. I always listen carefully to the programme and take note of what I hear. Doing this helps me to improve my English listening skills and increase my vocabulary while at the same time have fun with my favorite programs.
    - Surfing the internet also gives me a lot of pleasure. I can widen my knowledge by reading an e-newspaper or searching for a topic I'm interested in while at the same time listening to a song I've downloaded from the internet. I feel it makes the most of my free time.
    - As I am now getting busier and busier, I don't always have time to chat with my friends, so when I do have free time I often spend that time with them. We will sit in our favorite place, talk about what we’ve done, complain about things and ask each other for advice on problems we may have. Then we’ll all go and eat our favorite food. Afterwards I always feel comfortable and ready to meet any difficulties.
    2)about a typical day in your life
    My day usually begins at 7 a.m. The first thing I do when I open my eyes is to turn on the TV to listen to “Xone FM” – my favorite music program, just to lighten up my day^^. Since my parents are always busy with work, It's usually left to me to prepare breakfast for my family. After doing some chores I start my studying day. As a university student I prefer learning on the computer. I usually read English e-newspapers for an hour or so, then search for some documents I need for my studies. The rest of the morning is taken up with reading books on certain subjects for school, such as math and economics, as I have lessons in the afternoon. At lunch time I often eat alone or occasionaly with my father. I go to school by bus with a friend. On the way to school we usually talk about our lessons. I try to make the most of my time at school by interacting with other students during lessons, doing research or reading documents. When I get home from the university, my evening is spent with my family. I help my mother in the kitchen which I like to do as it helps me learn how to prepare a good meal. After dinner time it's back to studying! . I find it more effective to study at home so I often do homework until late at night. Listening to a song I like before going to bed helps me to relax. I often go to bed at midnight or even later. However, I always try to make everyday different to make it interesting.
    3)about the way you dress
    Like many other girls I pay a lot of attention to fashion. To me, the way I dress is mainly influenced by 3 factors : music, film and my individual taste. I love rock and R’n’B music so I tend to choose sports clothes as my style. I often go to school wearing jeans with a T-shirt and sport shoes. I also prefer embroidered short-sleeved blouses and baggy pants. Wearing clothes that I like makes me feel comfortable, confident and more dynamic. I can study better and take part in school’s activities with energy and enthusiasm.
    - Casual clothes, especially jeans and street or skate clothes are the most practical for outside school’s activities. I like baggy trousers and cartoon T-shirts along with a trucker hat. Unlike many girls I don't like wearing skirts so I don’t often have them in my wardrobe^^. Whenever I come across a new style I often mix my clothes to create a different one that I feel is more suitable for me. Simplicty, convenience and fashion are the things I keep in mind to help me choose clothes for outdoor activities.
    - However, on some special occasions I have no choice but to dress more formally, so I select “ao dai”*. but I have had my dress modernized, which makes it both traditional and fashionable. I feel very proud whenever I wear it..
    I think the way you dress partly reflects what you are. So I always choose clothes that are both comfortable and suitable for me.
    * Is this your national dress?

I hope this helps, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you thank you very much. You've made my day! Though I'm a 8 year English learner, i dont often write a paper like that. So i feel rather ashamed that there are so many mistakes in my papers. Thanks again for yr help. Btw, I have to write 3-5 papers, as soon as i complete them can you check for me?
    Uhm yes, "ao dai" is the traditional dress of Vietnamese women. It consits of a long silk tunic that is slit on the sides and worn over loose pants. Nowadays many schools use "ao dai" as their uniform
    Last edited by tuanlinh; 08-Jan-2007 at 14:33.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuanlinh View Post
    Oh thank you thank you very much. You've made my day! Though I'm a 8 year English learner, i dont often write a paper like that. So i feel rather ashamed that there are so many mistakes in my papers. Thanks again for yr help. Btw, I have to write 3-5 papers, as soon as i complete them can you check for me?
    Uhm yes, "ao dai" is the traditional dress of Vietnamese women. It consits of a long silk tunic that is slit on the sides and worn over loose pants. Nowadays many schools use "ao dai" as their uniform
    You must not feel ashamed. You have made a great effort. I am only here to help you. Let me know if you need more help. I think you live in a very romantic country

Post Thanks / Like

i've finished 3 more papers. Could you read it and give me some ideas?
    1)about your study at FTU- Foreign Trade university
    I must admit that early in my study at FTU, I felt like a very small fish in a very big pond. But as I’m getting on, I realize that I am not as “little” as I thought.
    For the first few weeks, the university life was rather new and stimulating then I felt that the whole experience was happening despite me, having a feeling of isolation and loneliness. This may come from the membership ‘s rejection of some FTU’s clubs, the study in a big class and new subjects. Luckily as time’ve passed by I attempt to familirise myself with the new environment. I’m learning new content which raises issues of knowledge at a higher level. Our lecturers teach us how to have new ways of understanding, interpreting and discussing our knowledge. However, some matters seems too difficult to understand. For certain subjects like philosophy even math I have to force myself to get it all. Furthermore I must say that seminars in some subjects are such a waste of time. Not many students involved in it (including me^^), the topics are boring and lecturers and students are not really eager to make a successful seminar so I didn’t gain anthing afterwards. As for English, I nearly didn’t learn anything new in the first semester at FTU. The teachers seem always busy and skip classes or they think that their students knew everything about English. Not to make the matter worse I find them welcoming though many of them are very busy, which allows me to freely ask for help when i have problems. The only great thing was I formed a study group and made many new friends here. That’s not to say that I don’t like my school but to emphasize one thing now I have a thorough understanding: at university I must automatically be an independent learners.
    2)about your English learning at FTU
    As a former student in a Foreign language specializing high school, I suggest the English learning at FTU is not enjoyable enough, however, brings me new experiences.
    In grammar section, I had review lessons on all English tenses for the whole first semester. We were divided into 8 groups and each group was in charge of 2-3 lessons each time. At first, I felt the lesson rather stimulating, later it became a boring and patterned one. Each week a group talked about the usage of 1-2 tenses, gave us exercises on that tense and played games to end the presentation. In some part of the show, we argued about the differences between 2 grammar points then came to nothing. After a lessons I often asked myself : “Finally, what did I gain today?”. Sometimes I wished the teacher just traditionally gave us the hand-outs, we would do the exercises and they would check. That was enough! However, it’s undeniable that the preparation for the presentation helped me meet new friends, learn how to plan an interesting show and how to cooperate in group work.
    There was no big difference in listening and speaking section, I almost learned nothing interesting. The textbook is rather fascinating and related to my falcuty but I couldnt make full use of it.
    The final exam includes 4 skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing. The “listening” part is a bit new to me because I didn’t have it in high school. But it’s the English environment here that helps me much in my study.
    3)about your future job
    Today, it is not easy to choose a career. Every job is tempting and attractive and it is tough making a decision. However, I’ve made up my mind to become a tour guide. To me tour guide is an interesting job for several reasons.
    -First of all, being a tour guide gives me a chance to travel, which is one of my hobbies. I like reading about different countries and their traditions to learn something new about their culture & customs. So this job enables me to make friends with many people and to help me gain loads of knowledge about the places.
    -As a Tour leader you are responsible for a group of people and it is up to you to make sure they have a holiday they will never forget. This requires me to learn a large amount about where I am going, so I must be willing to do some study. Then I’ll be talking in front of groups of people, passing the information I know for them. Thus, through the job I’ll be trained to become more confident and friendly.
    -Moreover, there are numerous things I have to do to make sure a tour runs smoothly such as reconfirming flights, reconfirming hotels, trying to keep a group interested, being positive as much as possible….So being able to deal with people face-to-face is often more than travel experience only.
    I think the job is so much related to my falcuty now (foreign economics) that it not only fulfills my hobby but also allows me to acquire knowledge from the real world. That’s why it’s a tour guide I’d like to choose.

Btw, how delicate you are when you asked if "ao dai" was my country's traditional dress. You know, my country, Vietnam has become the 150 member of WTO

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I will, but later, as I have to do some work. You may get others here who will help.