Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Help!

Hello, Im Carolina. I dont understand the meaning of the phrase "Im all for it" I had written before asking the same and I received an answer, but I need another explanation. Below I wrote something in which is included the phrase, also Id like to know the meaning of the word Screw into this sentence

Im all for it! The more people can screw out of big companies the better! I wish a waiter would spill coffee on me!

Note: It is part of a chapter called "Compensation Culture", it is one of the chapters included in the book called " Taboos and Issues" by the way, I dont understand the meaning of the word culture in the title, because the word Compensation is good enough to explain the content, isnt it?

Thanks in advance

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!

It means that the person is very much in favour of getting money out of corporations by suing them. If you screw someone for money, you get money out of them by force or, as here, by dubious methods- the cup of coffee reference is the famous 'Stella' case, where a woman sued MacDondal's after she burned herself with their coffee and won a considerable sum of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It means that the person is very much in favour of getting money out of corporations by suing them. If you screw someone for money, you get money out of them by force or, as here, by dubious methods- the cup of coffee reference is the famous 'Stella' case, where a woman sued MacDondal's after she burned herself with their coffee and won a considerable sum of money.
    Thanks a lot! I got it

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

There an award named after the woman in the MacDonld's case: The TRUE Stella Awards -- Exposing Lawsuit Abuse with Real Cases