Hi my name is Louise! I would greatly appreciate some advice from any experienced english language teachers out there, especially those with experience of private lesson and even better in Greece!beware this is long....
Last year I completed a Tefl course and went on to teach for five months in a private school in Greece. I have been doing other work since June. However I now want to go back to Greece, to an island and teach privately. I am not keen on the idea of working in a school again. Just much prefer the idea of one to one lessons. So, I have experience teaching (although I feel somewhat rusty right now) but I havent really a clue where to start private teaching. All issues are going through my mind such as how will I afford the materials. I have looked through many esl websites and gathered a list of sites which provide free resources, but then I worry about affording the internet costs as they are very expensive on the island I want to teach.etc etc!
A second worry is being able to do a good job of it as I will need a good reputation in order to promote myself and get more students. Although I did very well on the tefl course I dont feel I know exactly what each student needs for their level, or if when I do how to achieve it with limited resources. In Greece they work towards exams and although I feel I can help them with that I dont feel I could be their sole provider of English teaching, just extra conversation practice and grammar help etc. But I'm afraid if I advertise to only be a conversation exchange I might not get so many students, especially as it's a toutist area and they will have plenty practice that way.
Beginners are an even bigger worry because I will not have so many resources, such as books to make lessons fun and which I feel will really be needed with the obstacle that i don't speak much Greek!
So any great ideas? I know it will get better with practice and of course money, but getting started is my main worry. I do, however, have friends etc to stay with and know the island pretty well so those aren't such big issues...