Post Thanks / Like

Default I consider you will be glad to read it,and simultaneously you are helping me to submi

Dear friend, this discussion needs your help, the topic is very interesting and easy to understand. I consider you will be glad to read it,and simultaneously you are helping me to submit my thesis, which deadline is soon. Please help me!

The Forced Decision Issue
    Peruvians families will construct and continue their lives and new projects in the Japanese society context, which is ideal because family support system and unity can be maintained. The depending factors were identified as: financial (wage target) and emotional (children’s location). So far, parents would be driven toward the fact to stay in Japan, which is interpreted in my study as a forced decision. Because of the nature of the forced decision, their settlement is expected to depend not only on a comparison of life standards between the home and host country, but also would be strong affected by the strength of family relationships.
    However, a further question remains, why and when does the decision-making turn into a forced decision to stay in Japan? When the time to the decision-making comes, parents will evaluate the situation of their children, and they will find that the young members are not able to adjust to a different environment for various reasons; such as some of the Peruvian children came at a very young stage of their lives, and the most time of their life they have stayed and grew surrounded by the context of the host society. Others were born in Japan hence the only environment they had seen is the Japanese. There are situations that within the same family, an elder brother or sister was born in Peru and the younger children born in Japan. In spite of these circumstances, the desires of returning to Peru are still held in the hearts of Peruvians parents although the situation is out of reality.
    Additionally to this situation, we find children with low abilities of Spanish language, or if they are able to speak, they are not prepared to write or read in Spanish. Besides, most Peruvian children attend the Japanese school. Then, they do their every day activities in a context where the images and traditions that they embrace daily are mostly Japanese. The language in which many demonstrated superior proficiency is Japanese, and in fact, it has been adopted as their first language. In the best of cases children are bilingual; nonetheless in the majority of the cases they speak a fluently Japanese and only understand Spanish vocabulary, daily life conversation, typical phrases, and the linguistics codes used in their own family.
    I consider that the state of Peruvian children is far to change in essence. The environment and circumstances will continue, and will be reinforced because of the changes in family members’ role and the lack of communication. Therefore, this scene of the Peruvian family permits a closer view about what would be the election of children regarding to their future residence preferences. Only when the confronting time prepares the environment for the decision-making, at that very moment parents will realize and face the situation, giving up their dreams kept for long years, and just accept the decision of residing in Japan.

Due to the fact that parents are forced to select Japan as the country of their permanent residence, many would be the difficulties and frustrations confronting by them. In spite of that, I consider these outcomes important because of its future implications that would have an effect on the family. Then, a critical question has been raised: What are going to be the consequences of forced decision for Peruvian families? .The answers are not easy to find, but an analysis of the current situation and the way how do Peruvians perceive their future were required to approach the problem.
    Subsequently, after parents and families set up their residence I suggest that Peruvian migrants may choose a different type of migration which move further than the standard of ‘stay or return’ decision, that for the purpose of a better understanding will be called the “Va y Viene[1] strategy. This new strategy implies that Peruvians would tend to commute and share their time between the host and the origin country. In few words, they would spend a period in the home country and then come back to the host country. This new strategy has been brought to light because of the framework in which parents will decide their residence the same that leads to a forced decision.
    I consider that future analysis of Peruvian communities, especially those related to their residence and its consequences need to be highlighted. The importance of analyzing those themes will bring important insights to the description and evolution of the Peruvian family in Japan.

[1] The name was originally take from its the work of Zimmerman "The expression 'its comes and goes' was taken from the work of Ross, who used the French equivalent 'van et vient'"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I consider you will be glad to read it,and simultaneously you are helping me to submi

Yrmacita,

It's very interesting to me that you're writing on the subject of Peruvians emigrating to Japan, and the choices they make in either staying there, or eventually returning home.

I find it interesting because there is a parallel dilemma taking place in my country, the United States, with regard to the issue of people entering illegally and then establishing new lives here. The United Staes government has ignored this issue for many decades, such to the poin that it's almost impossible to rectify it now. In your research, I assume you're studying legal immigration, based on what little I know about the strictness of Japanese laws of soverienty and the sense of nationalism.

As can be expected, there are very stringent viewpoints both for and against the issue of illegal immigration here in the US. In 2007, there are millions of people form various countries all over the world who have settled in the US after having broken the law to get here. A lax policy on deportation helped create a culture that has grown in size and political strength.

From the 1960s to the early 1980s, US immigration laws and immigration enforcement was so weak that people didn't consider them an obstacle to entering the US, or to re-entering after leaving. For many thousands of those people, the original plan was to seek gainful employment, work for a few months or a few years, and then return to their home countries. A vast majority of the jobs available to them were in the agricultural sector, an industry that soon came to rely on this labor pool. Some people had a revolving plan of going back and forth from their homes to the US every year, following the planting seasons and the harvesting seasons.

In the mid 1980s, there were immigratiom reform laws that gave illegal immigrants the opportunity to apply for legal status by proving they had been in the country for ten years, and paying a fine of $1000 to the Immigration Service. The idea was that those here illegally would register, and eventually, the problem would decrease. Bad plan. What happened in reality was that hundreds of thousands more people flocked to the United States in anticipation of also receiving these benefits. The requirement to prove ten year's residency was a joke, because so many illegal immigrants use false names, that all they had to do was buy receipts and paycheck stubs from someone else. In effect, these people were being rewarded for breaking the law. The good life in the United States became even better, for some people.

Soon, the Immigration Service was deludged with applications, which caused more of a back-log in their already beleagured system. The $1000 per applicant didn't not make up for the numbers of employees it now took to process them. And since even more people were coming forward, the problem increased exponentionally. A curious developement also began to emerge: now that they had a degree fo legitiamcay, they had less fear of retribution for breaking other laws. The mindset seemed to be, "If the US goverment says it's ok for me to break immigration laws, it must be ok to break any law I wish to break." The law enforcement community faced a paradox: the same government that employed them to protect our citizens was now excusing illegal behavior.

When the television news announced that the deadline for the amnesty program was drawing near, even MORE people entered the US illegally, eager for their chance also. Next, since these formerly illegal aliens now had a chance to get legal US residency, they invited more of their family members and friends to join them. Although there were plans to stay ashort while and go home together, this hardly ever took place. These immigrants were here to stay.

The family units began to get larger and larger. Men were bringing in their wives or girlfriends from home, and soon their children followed. As they established roots in the US, they began to have children here. Most of the children were fluent only in their parents' language, but soon, that started to change. As the years went on, more of these children were American, with no knowledge or connection to their parents' homeland. Ten years after the amnesty program began, illegal immigration had not slowed down, it had increased.

By the late 1990s, the steady flow of people was still strong, and hardly anyone was leaving the United States. Life was too good in the US , compared to their home countries, and after all, they had plenty of company, with their own language, customs, traditions, food, etc.

The immigrant problem continued so much that they began demanding that Americans adjust to them, not them adjusting to life in America. School districts were being sued for not offering classes in foriegn languages. City governments had to print documents and street signs in foreign languages. Companies had to hire people that could communicate with immigrant communities.

Maybe you can see some similarities between our crisis and what's happening in Japan.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I consider you will be glad to read it,and simultaneously you are helping me to submi

Thank you very much for your commentaries and discussion of the topic. I will write more to you because I am leaving to the station.

Bye