Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences

    Kindly indicate whether the following sentences are correct grammatically:

    1. We are serious about bringing the standard of extreme sports in the country to global levels.
    2. Common,give it up for the Asian Games.

    3. Crowds of over 92,000 in total attendance clearly shows that the Youth Programme knows what excites the new breed of young Malaysians.
    4. " Every time I see him out there, I cheer out loud for him", said Jane.
    5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.
    6. Match the correct alphabets to the icons below.
    7. City stadium was filled with adoring fans, good music and champion skateboarders, aggressive inline skaters and bicycle stunt riders.
    8. The Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games hosted by Malaysia in February 2004, returned to Kuala Lumpur for their third annual staging and this time, it went indoors at Penang Stadium, Penang.

    9. Nancy is engrossing in a draft of United Magazine.

    10. Stay in New York hotel or stay in the New York hotel .Can we omit "the" ?

    Thanks you English experts out there.

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by Asian Learner
    Kindly indicate whether the following sentences are correct grammatically:

    1. We are serious about bringing the standard of extreme sports in the country to global levels.
    2. Common,give it up for the Asian Games.

    3. Crowds of over 92,000 in total attendance clearly shows that the Youth Programme knows what excites the new breed of young Malaysians.
    4. " Every time I see him out there, I cheer out loud for him", said Jane.
    5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.
    6. Match the correct alphabets to the icons below.
    7. City stadium was filled with adoring fans, good music and champion skateboarders, aggressive inline skaters and bicycle stunt riders.
    8. The Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games hosted by Malaysia in February 2004, returned to Kuala Lumpur for their third annual staging and this time, it went indoors at Penang Stadium, Penang.

    9. Nancy is engrossing in a draft of United Magazine.

    10. Stay in New York hotel or stay in the New York hotel .Can we omit "the" ?

    Thanks you English experts out there.
    1. We are serious about bringing the standards of extreme sports in the country to global levels.

    That is grammatical, but it is not clear to me what a "global level" is.

    2. Common, give it up for the Asian Games.

    This sounds like a person speaking to a crowd. If so, "give it up" means please applaud and show your appreciation and the opening is probably "Come on,".

    3. Crowds of over 92,000 in total attendance clearly shows that the Youth Programme knows what excites the new breed of young Malaysians.

    I would use a plural verb "show". The subject is "crowds".


    4. " Every time I see him out there, I cheer out loud for him", said Jane.

    OK

    5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.

    That is OK, but it could be better. "I know the park there is bigger and I want very much to skate there", said the excited skater.

    6. Match the correct alphabets to the icons below.

    This is hard to answer. Are you really matching different alphabets? Or are there different leters of the alphabet?

    7. City stadium was filled with adoring fans, good music and champion skateboarders, aggressive inline skaters and bicycle stunt riders.

    This is OK. One should have a reason for the second "and". Personally, I would place commas after "music" and "skaters".

    8. The Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games hosted by Malaysia in February 2004, returned to Kuala Lumpur for their third annual staging and this time, it went indoors at Penang Stadium, Penang.

    This sentence needs work. Since Kuala Lampur is in Malaysia, why is that there at all? How about "In February of 2004, the third annual Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games were held in Penang Stadium in Kuala Lamour, Malaysia.

    9. Nancy is engrossing in a draft of United Magazine.

    Nancy is engrossed in a draft of United Magazine.

    10. Stay in New York hotel or stay in the New York hotel .Can we omit "the" ?

    It would need either "the" or "a".

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    By 'global levels', I wonder if they mean 'world standards'.

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    By 'global levels', I wonder if they mean 'world standards'.
    Hmmm. Probably. Are there such things?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.

    That is OK, but it could be better. "I know the park there is bigger and I want very much to skate there", said the excited skater.
    The original sentence, should it be "badly?"

    BMO

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.

    That is OK, but it could be better. "I know the park there is bigger and I want very much to skate there", said the excited skater.
    The original sentence, should it be "badly?"

    BMO
    No, it is unlikely that she wants to skate badly, which is what that would mean.

    :wink:

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.

    That is OK, but it could be better. "I know the park there is bigger and I want very much to skate there", said the excited skater.
    The original sentence, should it be "badly?"

    BMO
    Yes, it should, but that is why I changed it. "Badly" is an adverb and "so" is an adverb that intensifies it. As it was written, "badly" would attach logically to the nearest verb. In this case, that was "skate". But we know the person didn't want to skate "badly". He wanted badly to skate. To avoid confusion I changed it to "very much".

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One might hear someone say He wanted to do it so bad, which means the person wanted very much to do the thing. Grammarians might say that that usage is incorrect, but apparently nobody is listening to those grammarians.

    :wink:

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    One might hear someone say He wanted to do it so bad, which means the person wanted very much to do the thing. Grammarians might say that that usage is incorrect, but apparently nobody is listening to those grammarians.

    :wink:
    It is apparent that some are not listening to those grammarians.

    :wink:

  10. #10
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    One might hear someone say He wanted to do it so bad, which means the person wanted very much to do the thing. Grammarians might say that that usage is incorrect, but apparently nobody is listening to those grammarians.

    :wink:
    It is apparent that some are not listening to those grammarians.

    :wink:
    Apparently.

    :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Are these sentences correct?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 03:59
  2. Help
    By zhangjin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2008, 19:47
  3. Urgent! Please help to check it
    By Snow Lau in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2007, 03:44
  4. Correct sentences
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2004, 22:10
  5. Are these sentences correct? Please assist, Thanks
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2003, 17:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •