• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 59,311
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Kindly indicate whether the following sentences are correct grammatically:

1. We are serious about bringing the standard of extreme sports in the country to global levels.
2. Common,give it up for the Asian Games.

3. Crowds of over 92,000 in total attendance clearly shows that the Youth Programme knows what excites the new breed of young Malaysians.
4. " Every time I see him out there, I cheer out loud for him", said Jane.
5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.
6. Match the correct alphabets to the icons below.
7. City stadium was filled with adoring fans, good music and champion skateboarders, aggressive inline skaters and bicycle stunt riders.
8. The Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games hosted by Malaysia in February 2004, returned to Kuala Lumpur for their third annual staging and this time, it went indoors at Penang Stadium, Penang.

9. Nancy is engrossing in a draft of United Magazine.

10. Stay in New York hotel or stay in the New York hotel .Can we omit "the" ?

Thanks you English experts out there.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Asian Learner said:
Kindly indicate whether the following sentences are correct grammatically:

1. We are serious about bringing the standard of extreme sports in the country to global levels.
2. Common,give it up for the Asian Games.

3. Crowds of over 92,000 in total attendance clearly shows that the Youth Programme knows what excites the new breed of young Malaysians.
5. "I know the park there is bigger and I want to skate all around there so bad", said the excited skater.
7. City stadium was filled with adoring fans, good music and champion skateboarders, aggressive inline skaters and bicycle stunt riders.
8. The Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games hosted by Malaysia in February 2004, returned to Kuala Lumpur for their third annual staging and this time, it went indoors at Penang Stadium, Penang.

Thanks you English experts out there.

1. We are serious about bringing the standards of extreme sports in the country to global levels.

That is grammatical, but it is not clear to me what a "global level" is.

2. Common, give it up for the Asian Games.

This sounds like a person speaking to a crowd. If so, "give it up" means please applaud and show your appreciation and the opening is probably "Come on,".

I would use a plural verb "show". The subject is "crowds".

OK

That is OK, but it could be better. "I know the park there is bigger and I want very much to skate there", said the excited skater.

This is hard to answer. Are you really matching different alphabets? Or are there different leters of the alphabet?

This is OK. One should have a reason for the second "and". Personally, I would place commas after "music" and "skaters".

This sentence needs work. Since Kuala Lampur is in Malaysia, why is that there at all? How about "In February of 2004, the third annual Asian Games and Junior ASEAN Games were held in Penang Stadium in Kuala Lamour, Malaysia.

Nancy is engrossed in a draft of United Magazine.

It would need either "the" or "a".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
By 'global levels', I wonder if they mean 'world standards'. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
By 'global levels', I wonder if they mean 'world standards'. ;-)

Hmmm. Probably. Are there such things? :idea:

bmo

MikeNewYork said:

That is OK, but it could be better. "I know the park there is bigger and I want very much to skate there", said the excited skater.

The original sentence, should it be "badly?"

BMO

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bmo said:
MikeNewYork said:

BMO

No, it is unlikely that she wants to skate badly, which is what that would mean.

:wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bmo said:
MikeNewYork said:

BMO

Yes, it should, but that is why I changed it. "Badly" is an adverb and "so" is an adverb that intensifies it. As it was written, "badly" would attach logically to the nearest verb. In this case, that was "skate". But we know the person didn't want to skate "badly". He wanted badly to skate. To avoid confusion I changed it to "very much".

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One might hear someone say He wanted to do it so bad, which means the person wanted very much to do the thing. Grammarians might say that that usage is incorrect, but apparently nobody is listening to those grammarians.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
One might hear someone say He wanted to do it so bad, which means the person wanted very much to do the thing. Grammarians might say that that usage is incorrect, but apparently nobody is listening to those grammarians.

It is apparent that some are not listening to those grammarians.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:

Apparently.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:

Apparently.

:lol:

iarijv

im just confused when to use have have, have has or have had in a sentence. please help, thanks in advance;-)

LUPITA

only to confirm that they are correct.

1. Is it better to have money for a rainy day or spend it all?
2. Should millionaires keep all their money or donate it to charity?
3. Should family sizes be restricted, or should everyone have as many children as they want?
4. Should murderers and terrorists be put in prison for life or executed?
5. Should cars be banned for driving in city centres or should there be no restrictions?
6. Should shops be open 24-hours a day 7 days a week?
7. Should every home have a computer?
8. Are people less polite and considerate than they used to be?
9. Were the good old days better than the present day?
10. What is the best way to prevent crime?
11. Is money the root of all evil, or is it a blessing?
12. Could you tell me whether your partner likes English food?
13. Would you mind telling me how did you get here?
14. Why do you make us be here so early?
15. Do you have to wear a uniform when you are on duty?
16. Do either the Training Division or the police stations have a kindergarten?
17. Can you give me a piece of advice to pass the exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.