Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A long, long word

    Hi. How would you like the sentence like the following?
    "These old, useless-now-because-used-so-long-ago methods are becoming more and more popular again."

    Of course, my question is concerned with this useless-now-because-used-so-long-ago adjective. Can I create such words?

    Thanks,
    Nyggus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Hi Nyggus

    I think I'd exchange that string of words for something shorter ... like the word 'obsolete'.

    Brian

    Grammarman Comic for efl esl tefl celta teachers and students

  3. #3
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyd View Post
    Hi Nyggus
    I think I'd exchange that string of words for something shorter ... like the word 'obsolete'.
    Brian
    Grammarman Comic for efl esl tefl celta teachers and students
    Indeed, you can. But I want to emphasize the meaning, for example, because people say these metods are "useless now because used so long ago" with the negative accent on this, despite it is not necessarily so. So, it is to emphasize. So?

    Nyggus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Okay ... if you want to keep the string of words to emphasize your point, I'd maybe use a few less words.

    Perhaps I'd change 'useless-now-because-used-so-long-ago' for 'out-of-date'.

    Brian

    Grammarman Comic for efl esl tefl celta teachers and students

  5. #5
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyd View Post
    Okay ... if you want to keep the string of words to emphasize your point, I'd maybe use a few less words.
    Perhaps I'd change 'useless-now-because-used-so-long-ago' for 'out-of-date'.
    Brian
    Grammarman Comic for efl esl tefl celta teachers and students
    Thanks. But again, out-of-date is a common word, and my main question is whether or not I can create new words, like this one, to emphasize my ideas. For sure, such a long word would attract the readers' attention, doesn't it?

    Nyggus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Well then, the answer is - yes, you can string words together like that to create emphasis.

    Eminem does it in his song 'Stan' ...

    Dear Mr. I'm-too-good-to-call-or-write-my-fans,
    This'll be the last package I ever send your ass.

    Brian

    Grammarman Comic for efl esl tefl celta teachers and students


    .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Thanks. But again, out-of-date is a common word, and my main question is whether or not I can create new words, like this one, to emphasize my ideas. For sure, such a long word would attract the readers' attention, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyd View Post
    Well then, the answer is - yes, you can string words together like that to create emphasis.
    Eminem does it in his song 'Stan' ...
    Dear Mr. I'm-too-good-to-call-or-write-my-fans
    Well, Eminem was using a slightly different technique here -- not so much creating a new adjective as utilising a sort of idiom.

    Theoretically, you can string words together in this way. However, the effect is usually either comical or sarcastic, and if that's not the effect you're after, it's best not to use this method.

  8. #8
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    Well, Eminem was using a slightly different technique here -- not so much creating a new adjective as utilising a sort of idiom.
    Theoretically, you can string words together in this way. However, the effect is usually either comical or sarcastic, and if that's not the effect you're after, it's best not to use this method.
    Indeed, my idea was to get the sort of sarcastic effect. Thanks, Rewboss.

    Nyggus

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A long, long word

    Yes, I agree with Rewboss, it depends on what you're writing. if you're writing something formal, then using these types of words is not appropriate. But in anything informal this technique can be used to acheive emphasis with a comical effect.

    Keith
    TEFL courses

Similar Threads

  1. in a long time/ for a long time
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-May-2009, 15:13
  2. The meaning with no word . . .
    By ScaryEders in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-May-2009, 07:15
  3. The misused word--absolute
    By pljames in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2007, 22:19
  4. In a long time / For a long time
    By theanglophile in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2005, 08:05
  5. One word
    By sharath in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2005, 16:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •