Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MI Theory

Post Thanks / Like

Smile MI Theory

Hello, I'm new here and a little shy for that reason . I come from the western part of Poland and I'm a teacher of English. Im writing my AM paper and I really need your help. I've decided to do research on effectiveness of techniques based on MI theory in teaching grammar. The topic seems to be very interesting but availability of materials about this topic is quite small in my region. There are a lot of books on MIT but I'm especially interested in those, which apply to teaching a foreign language. If any of you is able to help me, I'll be very grateful.
    Pola

happygirl24 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MI Theory

Hi!
    Iím new too. Well, I actually donít know anything about AM paper or MI theory in teaching grammar. I just want to drop in to say good for you to be so creative and find something very interesting to teach your students. I want to be an English teacher one day.
    Well, good luck

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polapoletek View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and a little shy for that reason . I come from the western part of Poland and I'm a teacher of English. Im writing my AM paper and I really need your help. I've decided to do research on effectiveness of techniques based on MI theory in teaching grammar. The topic seems to be very interesting but availability of materials about this topic is quite small in my region. There are a lot of books on MIT but I'm especially interested in those, which apply to teaching a foreign language. If any of you is able to help me, I'll be very grateful.
    Pola
    Hi!
    I think you can find information on MI theory in Wikipedia (Thr Free Encyclopedia).

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl24 View Post
    Hi!
    Iím new too. Well, I actually donít know anything about AM paper or MI theory in teaching grammar. I just want to drop in to say good for you to be so creative and find something very interesting to teach your students. I want to be an English teacher one day.
    Well, good luck
    Hi, happygirl!
    I wish you to start your teaching career as soon as it is possible. The school and especially schoolchildren are waiting for you.
    Best wishes
    Harry Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, a lot. I wish you back all the best in your efforts! :)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Harry! Thank you for your advice, but Wikipedia is really too little! Believe me! I've already read at least 4 books by Howard Gardner. I've bought three by other authors, and I am using on-line library in the USA. But I indeed need the article! However, if any of you doesn't know anything about it I'll have to manage without your help. Anyway, thanks a lot. :)

Post Thanks / Like

you know this is very specific topic. Because of this, keep doing what you do i know the hardnesses of performing MI coz you have to determine your students' intelligence types..after that, you have to arrange topics according to intelligence types or your students..you have to have suitable class environment and atmospher etc..
    anyway..honestly, i wish i was your student..i appreciate you as being the student of teachership in my country

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

lolaluta is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: MI Theory

Intuitively, I'd say there MUST be something out there on this. I studied Howard Gardner and Multiple Intelligences with my first teaching degree (which was not in teaching English, but rather history.) It applies across the board, but I'm sure it must apply all the more to language learning, which seems to me to be somewhere between an art and a science. Languages have rules, and so those with mathematical brains (like myself) like to figure out the rules and apply the rules. There are others that need to read or write the language to get it, others that need to work on actively speaking, some that are musically minded that are helped by hearing song lyrics, some that are helped by seeing the word next to a corresponding picture, some that are helped by "working" with the language (that is, doing some sort of hands-on project that requires language use), etc. I'm at a North American university. I did an initial topic search on our library system with no results. I'll keep looking though, and let you know if I find anything.
    -Laura

lolaluta is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: MI Theory

I cannot find the publisher or date published (published after 2001), but supposidly the following folks worked on this ESL / MI issue:

Herbert Puchta and Mario Rinvolucri
    . The working title of their book was Multiple Intelligences in EFL. It was supposed to be published in UK.

Also, I found this book referenced on a website while doing a search for online articles:
    Berman, Michael. 2002 [1998]. A Multiple Intelligences Road to an ELT Classroom. Carmarthen: Crown House Publishing. Second edition.

Here's a link to a good article published in 1998 on MI and ESL / EFL. It uses some ESL language (like "L2," which in the U.S., in ESL circles, means someone who speaks another language and is learning English in the U.S. as a second language, or L2.) It also looks a bit at English as a foreign language issues. Hopefully this will help!
    Vol 36 No 2, April - June 1998 Page 2

I think this is all I have time for now, let me know if any of this helps. This helps me stay sharp, as well, so if this is helpful, I can continue searching.
    Let me know if these are academic enough for your research.

-Laura (also new to this board)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast