Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: `funny bone'

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question `funny bone'

    So did Rahul lose weight? Yes, he did. The otherwise lazy guy has started spending quality time in the gym. As for Amit, he has discovered his funny bone.
    What is the meaning of `funny bone'?
    Could anyone explain the same?

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: `funny bone'

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    So did Rahul lose weight? Yes, he did. The otherwise lazy guy has started spending quality time in the gym. As for Amit, he has discovered his funny bone.
    What is the meaning of `funny bone'?
    Could anyone explain the same?
    In this context it probably means just 'sense of humour' - he's developed a tast for comedy.

    Strictly, it's a reference to the humerus bone, near which there's a nerve (near the elbow). When you 'hit your funny-bone' it's not humorous; it feels funny (odd, strange,uncomfortable).

    b

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: `funny bone'

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    In this context it probably means just 'sense of humour' - he's developed a tast for comedy.

    Strictly, it's a reference to the humerus bone, near which there's a nerve (near the elbow). When you 'hit your funny-bone' it's not humorous; it feels funny (odd, strange,uncomfortable).

    b
    Thank you,
    I understood.
    But I couldn't understand yours this explanation.
    Strictly, it's a reference to the humerous bone, near which there's a nerve (near the elbow). When you `hit your funny-bone' it's not humorous; it feels funny (odd, strange, uncomfortable)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: `funny bone'

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Thank you,
    I understood.
    But I couldn't understand yours this explanation.
    Strictly, it's a reference to the humerous bone, near which there's a nerve (near the elbow). When you `hit your funny-bone' it's not humorous; it feels funny (odd, strange, uncomfortable)
    funny bone is the part of the elbow containing a very sensitive nerve that is painful if you hit it against something

    to know more about the usage of the word 'funny', search the word in this link:
    Possible entries for

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: `funny bone'

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Thank you,
    I understood.
    But I couldn't understand yours this explanation.
    Strictly, it's a reference to the humer[no o]us bone, near which there's a nerve (near the elbow). When you `hit your funny-bone' it's not humorous; it feels funny (odd, strange, uncomfortable)
    It's a pun - humerus/humorous.

    b

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: `funny bone'

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    It's a pun - humerus/humorous.

    b
    Thank you.
    I understood

Similar Threads

  1. Al Capone or dog and bone?
    By Avalon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2006, 17:37
  2. Please check my paper... it's due tomorrow morning!!!
    By cool33 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2006, 11:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •