• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what should a student learning linguistics have?

Recently I got to know a girl from my university. She is a undergrate obviously, and she is preparing to take the entrance examination of postgraduate of my uni. The point is, she is not a English major, but she is going to pursue the study English applied lingustics in her postgrate study career. According to the book she bought, her English competency is not in the same level as those English majors. In other words. she has much more to do than a English major 's preparation on the same test.

Do you think it is wise for a non-English major to risk doing so ? Or, what consist a born linguist?

THANKS

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

She is not an English major but she is going to study applied linguistics? And you think he English skills might not be up to the task?

I don't know enough about the situation to make a judgment about it, but presumably she has talked to somebody who can offer expert advice. Has she talked to somebody in the relevant department who has encouraged her to pursue that line of study?

:)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    She is not an English major but she is going to study applied linguistics? And you think he English skills might not be up to the task?

I don't know enough about the situation to make a judgment about it, but presumably she has talked to somebody who can offer expert advice. Has she talked to somebody in the relevant department who has encouraged her to pursue that line of study?

:)
    I think that is a very good question. If she hasn't talked to someone in the department, she should do so. :wink: