Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Remaining or Remained

    In the sentence below, I say we must use "remaining," but my co-worker insists that "remained" be the correct one. Pls. help confirm that I am correct, and using "remained" is wrong. Thank you.

    - The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining (remained) strong.

  2. #2
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Remaining or Remained

    Quote Originally Posted by cleung View Post
    In the sentence below, I say we must use "remaining," but my co-worker insists that "remained" be the correct one. Pls. help confirm that I am correct, and using "remained" is wrong. Thank you.
    - The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining (remained) strong.
    To my mind, 'remained' cannot collocate with 'with'; for this sentence, it would have to be 'remaining'.

    The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining strong.

    I'll suggest that the reason that 'remaining' is the one to be used is that this process is an ongoing thing.

    The company reported not so good operating results, though cash flow remained strong.

  3. #3
    curmudgeon's Avatar
    curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Remaining or Remained

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    To my mind, 'remained' cannot collocate with 'with'; for this sentence, it would have to be 'remaining'.

    The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining strong.

    I'll suggest that the reason that 'remaining' is the one to be used is that this process is an ongoing thing.

    The company reported not so good operating results, though cash flow remained strong.
    I agree

    Cleung, did you have a small wager on this? If so you win the bet.

  4. #4
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Remaining or Remained

    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I agree

    Cleung, did you have a small wager on this? If so you win the bet.
    Now, I suppose that you want a share of my cut, eh, C?

  5. #5
    ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Remaining or Remained

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    To my mind, 'remained' cannot collocate with 'with'; for this sentence, it would have to be 'remaining'.

    The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining strong.

    I'll suggest that the reason that 'remaining' is the one to be used is that this process is an ongoing thing.

    The company reported not so good operating results, though cash flow remained strong.
    I think it has to be "remaining" because in a "with" phrase, the verb has to be present participle (remaining) or past participle expressing passiveness. But in this case, the verb "remain" cannot be put in passive. So there is no way to have "remained" in this case.

    I stood there with my fingers pointing to my brother.
    I stood there with my fingers crossed. (crossed is passive, in other words, fingers are crossed).

    But if you use a verb that cannot be followed by an object, then you cannot use the verb in passive voice. To me, the "...ed" in the verb is a sign for past tense, but a sign for passive voice.

    I am not sure whether I am right or not. Just for your reference.

Similar Threads

  1. Stayed (remained) Up The Tree
    By NLT in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2006, 19:24
  2. sentence analysis 6
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2006, 12:22
  3. something remained
    By intelligent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jan-2006, 03:51
  4. Left or remained
    By mylevt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2005, 02:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •