• Post Thanks / Like

Sentences in the novel, Pelican Brief

I am reading a novel, Pelican Brief, written John Grisham, Will you read the following and let me know what the underlined sentences mean?
    ---------------------------------
    Three times in the past eight years he had unlisted his phone number. He lived by the phone, and his biggest stories came out of nowhere over the phone. But after or during each big one, there had been a thousand insignificant ones from sources who felt compelled to call at all hours of the night with their hot little morsels. He was known as a reporter who would face a firing squad before revealing a source, so they called and called and called. He'd get sick of it, and get a new, unlisted number. Then hit a dry spell. Then rush to get back in the D.C. directory.

I'd appeciate your help!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sentences in the novel, Pelican Brief

Quote Originally Posted by Brightsun View Post
    I am reading a novel, Pelican Brief, written byJohn Grisham, Will you read the following and let me know what the underlined sentences mean?
    ---------------------------------
    Three times in the past eight years he had unlisted his phone number. He lived by the phone, and his biggest stories came out of nowhere over the phone. But after or during each big one, there had been a thousand insignificant ones from sources who felt compelled to call at all hours of the night with their hot little morsels. He was known as a reporter who would face a firing squad before revealing a source, so they called and called and called. He'd get sick of it, and get a new, unlisted number. Then hit a dry spell. Then rush to get back in the D.C. directory.

I'd appeciate your help!
    I think that The Pelican Brief was his best novel. I read it start to finish. It was a real "no-putter-down". Enough editorializing.

Then hit a dry spell.

He didn't get anymore sources calling with hints/clues/stories/etc.

Then rush to get back in the D.C. directory.

Because his sources couldn't get ahold of him and he was gewtting any good stories, he would get his phone number listed again in the District of Columbia
    phone directory.