• Post Thanks / Like

Remaining or Remained

In the sentence below, I say we must use "remaining," but my co-worker insists that "remained" be the correct one. Pls. help confirm that I am correct, and using "remained" is wrong. Thank you.

- The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining (remained) strong.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remaining or Remained

Quote Originally Posted by cleung View Post
    In the sentence below, I say we must use "remaining," but my co-worker insists that "remained" be the correct one. Pls. help confirm that I am correct, and using "remained" is wrong. Thank you.
    - The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining (remained) strong.
    To my mind, 'remained' cannot collocate with 'with'; for this sentence, it would have to be 'remaining'.

The company reported good operating results, with cash flow remaining strong.

I'll suggest that the reason that 'remaining' is the one to be used is that this process is an ongoing thing.

The company reported not so good operating results, though cash flow remained strong.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    To my mind, 'remained' cannot collocate with 'with'; for this sentence, it would have to be 'remaining'.

I'll suggest that the reason that 'remaining' is the one to be used is that this process is an ongoing thing.

The company reported not so good operating results, though cash flow remained strong.
    I agree

Cleung, did you have a small wager on this? If so you win the bet.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I agree

Cleung, did you have a small wager on this? If so you win the bet.
    Now, I suppose that you want a share of my cut, eh, C?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post

I think it has to be "remaining" because in a "with" phrase, the verb has to be present participle (remaining) or past participle expressing passiveness. But in this case, the verb "remain" cannot be put in passive. So there is no way to have "remained" in this case.

I stood there with my fingers pointing to my brother.
    I stood there with my fingers crossed. (crossed is passive, in other words, fingers are crossed).

But if you use a verb that cannot be followed by an object, then you cannot use the verb in passive voice. To me, the "...ed" in the verb is a sign for past tense, but a sign for passive voice.

I am not sure whether I am right or not. Just for your reference.