Post Thanks / Like

"straight from the fridge, daddy-o/daddio!"

Hello, all teachers!

Some time ago, I watched a British TV series in which I heard the above phrase (a methaphor) used in a humorous way - well, regarding something in nostalgia.

I believe it can be somewhat translated as: "cool, dude!" - equivalent to the current colloquialism, right? By the way, is this strictly a British usage or also known in North America and elsewhere?

I'd appreciate it if you could shed some light on this.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "straight from the fridge, daddy-o/daddio!"

"Straight from the fridge" is Jazz-era (1920s and 30s) slang for "cool." "Daddy-O" or "daddio" is, as you said, the Beatnik equivalent of "dude."

The American Jazz and Blues musicians of the 1920s and 30s developed their own sort of language, a lot of which influenced the slang of the 1950s and 60s. It was quite colorful and expressive - for example, instead of simply saying "be careful, that could kill you," they'd say "be careful, or you'll have six friends carrying you by the handles. (referring to a coffin)"

Obviously, a lot of it sounds hopelessly dated now, just like "far out" and "groovy" do. But that doesn't bother some of us hepcats. Plant you now, dig you later!

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "Straight from the fridge" is Jazz-era (1920s and 30s) slang for "cool." "Daddy-O" or "daddio" is, as you said, the Beatnik equivalent of "dude."

The American Jazz and Blues musicians of the 1920s and 30s developed their own sort of language, a lot of which influenced the slang of the 1950s and 60s. It was quite colorful and expressive - for example, instead of simply saying "be careful, that could kill you," they'd say "be careful, or you'll have six friends carrying you by the handles. (referring to a coffin)"

Obviously, a lot of it sounds hopelessly dated now, just like "far out" and "groovy" do. But that doesn't bother some of us hepcats. Plant you now, dig you later!
    Cool

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be mistaken for Al Jazz-era.