• Post Thanks / Like

"straight from the fridge, daddy-o/daddio!"

Hello, all teachers!

Some time ago, I watched a British TV series in which I heard the above phrase (a methaphor) used in a humorous way - well, regarding something in nostalgia.

I believe it can be somewhat translated as: "cool, dude!" - equivalent to the current colloquialism, right? By the way, is this strictly a British usage or also known in North America and elsewhere?

I'd appreciate it if you could shed some light on this.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "straight from the fridge, daddy-o/daddio!"

"Straight from the fridge" is Jazz-era (1920s and 30s) slang for "cool." "Daddy-O" or "daddio" is, as you said, the Beatnik equivalent of "dude."

The American Jazz and Blues musicians of the 1920s and 30s developed their own sort of language, a lot of which influenced the slang of the 1950s and 60s. It was quite colorful and expressive - for example, instead of simply saying "be careful, that could kill you," they'd say "be careful, or you'll have six friends carrying you by the handles. (referring to a coffin)"

Obviously, a lot of it sounds hopelessly dated now, just like "far out" and "groovy" do. But that doesn't bother some of us hepcats. Plant you now, dig you later!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "Straight from the fridge" is Jazz-era (1920s and 30s) slang for "cool." "Daddy-O" or "daddio" is, as you said, the Beatnik equivalent of "dude."

The American Jazz and Blues musicians of the 1920s and 30s developed their own sort of language, a lot of which influenced the slang of the 1950s and 60s. It was quite colorful and expressive - for example, instead of simply saying "be careful, that could kill you," they'd say "be careful, or you'll have six friends carrying you by the handles. (referring to a coffin)"

Obviously, a lot of it sounds hopelessly dated now, just like "far out" and "groovy" do. But that doesn't bother some of us hepcats. Plant you now, dig you later!
    Cool

• Post Thanks / Like

Not to be mistaken for Al Jazz-era.