Thread: about 'Be'

Post Thanks / Like

Default about 'Be'

Hi,
    I read the book, Poor Dad, Rich Dad, recently,.
    1\I met the following sentence in this book, to my suprise, it seems that the following sentence not be more grammatical. pls see the following sentences:
    The people most directly reponsible for this book becoming a reality include my wife, Kim, who makes my life complete.
    In my opinion, I should say The people were most directly responsible for this......, am I right?
    2\ Could you give the exact meaning of the short phrase, of modest mean, in the following sentence.
    My husband, Michael, followed a similar path, we both came from hard-working family, of modest means but with strong work ethics.
    3\ what does pension plans vesting mean?
    4\Many of today's youth have credit card before they have leave high school, yet they have never had a course in money or how to invest it, let alone understand how compound interest work on credit cards.
    Could you pls tell me the usage of the bolded words here?
    Your timely support will be high appreciated!
    Wuwei

rancher247 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: about 'Be'

1. The author's sentence is fine. The subject is "the people most directly...becoming a reality" and the verb is "include". It's a bit wordy, so you're right, he/she could have rephrase it to be "The people who were most directly responsible for this book becoming a reality include..." Either is fine.
    2. "modest means" means not very rich, but not devestatingly poor.
    3. Can you provide the context please?
    4. kind of like: most importantly, they don't understand

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Rancher247
    About the third question, the context is that we both changed some positions, all for the all reason, but there are no pension plans vesting on our behalf.
    Thanks

rancher247 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You may work for someone who has a vesting retirement plan, but if you haven't worked long enough for them, the plan won't apply to you.
    It might be in your account, but you're not entitled to it until you've fulfilled certain requirements.
    Does that make any sense to you? (It doesn't to me, but I have no experience in the area.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Rancher,
    OK, it seems that the pension plans vesting is the noun phrase, maybe the vesting does not exist in China, so I can not understand it much more, I was just puzzled by the usage of the word, vest, here, I could not well judge that it was used as a noun, or it was used as a gerund.
    Thanks