Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Philly is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If we say "had arrived" it'll mean when the firemen came the fire hadn't started yet.
    I disagree...

It all began when Harry noticed that his greasy pot roast was in flames. He attempted to smother the flames with a dish towel, but the dish towel promptly caught fire too. The grease continued to burn. Unable to extinguish the small blaze easily, Harry quickly called the fire department and then remembered that there was fire extinguisher in the pantry. Unfortunately, the fire extinguisher had been placed on the top shelf and was just out of reach. "No problem," thought Harry. "I can reach the fire extinguisher if I stand on the bottom shelf." This turned out to be an unfortunate decision since Harry immediately lost his balance and fell, knocking over a kerosene lamp in the process. The lamp broke, spilling kerosene all over the floor. Just then Harry heard sirens. The firemen had arrived to fight the fire, which was now spreading quickly.

kohyoongliat is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: arrived / had arrived

I think I'm getting lost with the different answers provided. I thought that the present/past perfect was simple. The first action is indicated by 'has' or 'had'. E.g. After I had (first action) done my homework, I went (second action) out.

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I disagree...

It all began when Harry noticed that his greasy pot roast was in flames. He attempted to smother the flames with a dish towel, but the dish towel promptly caught fire too. The grease continued to burn. Unable to extinguish the small blaze easily, Harry quickly called the fire department and then remembered that there was fire extinguisher in the pantry. Unfortunately, the fire extinguisher had been placed on the top shelf and was just out of reach. "No problem," thought Harry. "I can reach the fire extinguisher if I stand on the bottom shelf." This turned out to be an unfortunate decision since Harry immediately lost his balance and fell, knocking over a kerosene lamp in the process. The lamp broke, spilling kerosene all over the floor. Just then Harry heard sirens. The firemen had arrived to fight the fire, which was now spreading quickly.
    What an exciting story! It so happened once. We extinguished the fire ourselves and the firemen didn't arrive on time though we had called the fire department.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    I think I'm getting lost with the different answers provided. I thought that the present/past perfect was simple. The first action is indicated by 'has' or 'had'. E.g. After I had (first action) done my homework, I went (second action) out.
    That works in a single sentence, kohyoongliat.

1st action .........................2nd action
    After I ... [past perfect] ...... I ...[past simple]
    Then.............................................. .....................................now

But, as Philly's story shows, a wider context can require a past perfect.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 15-Jan-2007 at 17:02. Reason: Tweak layout

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2