Thread: 2 Qs

Progress is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Qs

"Winning" is a very important word. For every person that achieves what he wants to achieve, there are hudreds of thousands that fail. Being the winner singles you out.

My understanding is correct? The second sentence to summarise ; A succeeded person has a lot of failure?
    The third sentence, I cannot understand it correctly. Being the winner makes you stand out?

Thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2 Qs

The second sentence tells us that "That there are a lot more people who fail than people who achieve".
    You are right, the third sentence does mean that "being the winner makes you stand out"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hundres of thousands, Niall. I see.
    How shoud I take the meaning that people is omitted instntly like you. Are there any clues? I wondered which was which.

For every person that achieves what he wants to achieve, there are hundres of thousands people that fail.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Thanks hundres of thousands, Niall. I see.
    How shoud I take the meaning that people is omitted instntly like you. Are there any clues? I wondered which was which.

For every person that achieves what he wants to achieve, there are hundreds of thousands of people that fail.
    There are three clues that work together. The first clue is the word 'person'. The second is the structure of the sentence: 'for every ... there are ...'. The third is the plural verb 'are'. When you see 'for every x there is/are y' you can assume that if there's no subject of the second verb, you need to assume one. If the verb is 'are', assume a plural. You know that the subject is 'person', so make that a plural. (The plural of 'person' is usually 'people.)

b

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BobK. I see.