• Post Thanks / Like

If anyone hates the word (the effectiveness),plz read this thread

May be the title of this thread is somehow ambiguous but this is the truth because I hate this word;my study depends on it;I prepare for my M.A in methodology and until now I didn't find an idea which should begin with (The effectiveness of using A on B),each time I go to my supervisor with a new idea ,the answer is (no it is rejected),why :1- my first idea was about using poetry to improve reading skill---------nooooooooo,we are not poets ,we are teachers.
    2- my second idea was about Deslexia --------noooooooooo,we aren't concerned with learning disabilities.
    3- my third idea was about using some computer skills to improve creative writing------------nooooooooo,it isn't a real problem,go and find a real one.
    The result is I hate two things : the effectiveness and my supervisor. but I still adore English language and methodology.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: If anyone hates the word (the effectiveness),plz read this thread

Hi hula.

You might want to change your focus somewhat. Try looking at what teachers are doing now, today, in their classrooms, the kinds of methods they're using, and whether or not those methods are working. That is, are they effective? If so, why, and can you add to it/them. If not, what's the problem and, if possible, can you suggest a way to improve it/them.

Here's a start:

Grammar-Translation Approach
    Direct Approach
    Reading Approach
    Audiolingual Method
    Community Language Learning
    The Silent Way
    Communicative Approach--Functional-Notional
    Total Physical Response

Read more here: Principles of L2 Teaching Methods and Approaches

Note that, an MA thesis shows you understand the problem(s). You're not supposed to come up with a new idea. You're supposed to work with what's already there.

Here's my advise: go ask your advisor if there is an area that s/he thinks you should focus on. It's a start.

• Post Thanks / Like

hi casiopea,thank you for your advice,you are very supportive and be sure that I will visit my supervisor and I will ask him about that because that's what I'm looking for ;areal problem,and I know that i didn't make much effort in looking for an idea but I read a lot in many fields in methodology and I will try to be better. but I'm reading now in a field in methodology which is comparative studies; I will try to focus on a skill ,e.g, speaking skill and i will read the problems which hinder improving this skill and what are the techniques which are used to develop it,then I will read the theories which present a solution to these problems in speaking skill,then I will choose two theories which present two different solutions or different procedures in handling these problems and I will make a comparative study between the two theories using two experimental groups.This is my current idea which I will present it next saturday to my supervisor as I wish . could you give me your opinion about it ?, is it good? and if not what do you think I should do to improve it?
    Thank you

• Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good structural outline. However, your thesis supervisor might be looking for something a tad bit more specific like a topic. Have you given any thought yet to what area in Reading you would like to focus on?

What's hot these days is the debate that circles around Whole Word Reading vs. Phonics. Here's a link that's friendly: Whole Language vs. Phonics Reading Instruction

Now, if I were you, I'd start off by comparing Whole Word Reading with Phonics, show the similarities, the differences, the problems - basically, show the good, the bad, and the ugly. Then I'd compare those with something fairly new in the field: PA (Phonological Awareness), which is showing some remarkable results in L2 and L1 classrooms, as well as special needs classrooms.

Hope that helps.

• Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, in the beginning PA was developed for L1 students (who were labelled as "slow readers"); these days, however, it's being adopted by ESL and EFL teachers as a means to teaching the rhythm of English: Speaking.

So, with PA you can focus on Speaking as well as Reading. It's a good topic.

• Post Thanks / Like

what can I say?,thank you very much casiopea.The topic you suggested is very unique;it is a current issue,a comparative study and the most important thing in it is that it is far from computer and programming as I'm not clever in dealing with computer programs. I will try hard to study this issue well and i will study all the sub-topics that you suggest it for dealing with such topic and to make it a right start for my research.
    thank you again and I hope that my supervisor will be like you.

• Post Thanks / Like

All the best.