Post Thanks / Like

Default Who, Whom, Whoever, and Whomever

I know which of who, whom, whoever and whomever are objects or subjects. Would someone, with time, take the time to thoroughly layout the proper usage of all for me?

You all rock,

Rob

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who, Whom, Whoever, and Whomever

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Pohl View Post
    I know which of who, whom, whoever and whomever are objects or subjects. Would someone, with time, take the time to thoroughly layout the proper usage of all for me?

You all rock,

Rob
    Basically WHO and WHOEVER are used in a subject position and WHOM and WHOMEVER are used in an object position. For example:

I saw the man who works for my father. (WHO is the subject of the clause)
    I saw the man whom my father doesn't like. (WHOM is the object of the verb LIKE in the clause.)
    I saw the man for whom my father works. (WHOM is the object of the preposition.)

WHOEVER and WHOMEVER are the same in terms of usage.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the easiest way, or what way do you use, to spot when to us which? In your first example, I would have said the word preceding who (I can't remember the name) was the subject. Also, prepositions, verbs and what other phrases have objects? Would you simplify even more, espacially with how to discern when who/whom are subjects or objects?

-- Rob

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the easiest way, or what way do you use, to spot when to us which? In your first example, I would have said the word preceding who (I can't remember the name) was the subject. Also, prepositions, verbs and what other phrases have objects? Would you simplify even more, espacially with how to discern when who/whom are subjects or objects?

-- Rob
    In "I saw the man who works for my father", the word "man" is the object to the verb SAW in the mian clause, but WHO (which stands for the man) is the subject in the subordinate clause. You may want to read a grammar book for these definitions.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

-- Rob
    Identify the verb, 'doesn't like' in this case, and ask a question that would identify the subject:

Who doesn't like? (This is an incopmplete question, but it will get to the heart of the matter) The answer is clearly 'my father', so that's the subject.
    Who doesn't he like? The man
    The man is the object, so you can use 'whom' there as the relative pronoun. However, this usage is formal and what complicates matters is that many people would use 'who' their, so the use of 'whom' is not very intuitive for many people. In most usage, I would use 'who' quite happily there except in formal usage.

BobK is online now Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    ... many people would use 'who' their...
    And a few people would use "there" there.

b