What's the meaning of "rock"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudia220962

Member Type
Other
I've heard the word "rock" used as a verb, but cannot understand the meaning of it, as in the following phrase: "Peter, you rock!". Can anyone help me???:) :oops: :)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've heard the word "rock" used as a verb, but cannot understand the meaning of it, as in the following phrase: "Peter, you rock!". Can anyone help me???:) :oops: :)

This is a quite informal (though increasingly common) usage - especially on the Internet. If something 'rocks' it's good; if something's bad, it 'sucks'.

(I'm assuming that you're talking about the verb 'rock'. "Peter, you rock" could also use 'rock' as a noun: "Peter, you dependable person". "Peter" is a very appropriate name, in fact - it's a biblical pun: "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church."/Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petrum aedificabo ecclesiam meam.)

b

tomboy186

Member Type
Student or Learner
Yeah so if my best friend said that:" you rock". Is it good or bad? Can you tell me? Thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's very good :up: . The friend is expressing extreme admiration in a personal way - saying you're very good, and they value you for it.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think terhi's 'is' was /is/ rather than /iz/, which makes it more understandable - still not right though! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.