Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: s? z?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 514
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    s? z?

    In plural form, sometimes the end of the word is pronounced as "s" and sometimes "z".
    Is there a certain rule to follow?
    For example,
    in "the crusades",
    should it be "-dis", "-diz", "-ds" or "-dz"?

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: s? z?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    In plural form, sometimes the end of the word is pronounced as "s" and sometimes "z".
    Is there a certain rule to follow?
    For example,
    in "the crusades",
    should it be "-dis", "-diz", "-ds" or "-dz"?
    :) Rule :)

    After voiced sounds (b,d,g,n,m,l) the letter <s> is pronounced [z]:

    tabs = tab[z]
    dads = dad[z]
    dogs = dog[z]
    buns = bun[z]
    hams = ham[z]
    halls = hall[z]

    After voiceless sound (p,t,k), the letter <s> is pronounced [s]:

    taps = tap[s]
    hats = hat[s]
    racks = rack[s]

    After the sounds s,z,sh,j the letters <es> are pronounced [Iz], as in "his":

    glasses = glass[Iz]
    buzzes = buzz[Iz]
    dishes = dish[Iz]
    garages = gara[jIz] *note, 'g' is pronounced [j]
    badges = bad[jIz] *note, 'g' is pronounced [j]

    All the best,

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 514
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: s? z?

    That's very clear.
    Thanks a lot! :D

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 514
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: s? z?

    Ah, wait a minute...
    In my book, the phonetic symbol for the "s" in "forelimbs" is "s" instead of "z".
    Is this a different case from "hams"?
    Or my book got it wrong?

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: s? z?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Ah, wait a minute...
    In my book, the phonetic symbol for the "s" in "forelimbs" is "s" instead of "z".
    Is this a different case from "hams"?
    Or my book got it wrong?
    forelimbs = forelimb[z]
    hams = ham[z]

    Your book has a typographical error. It should be [z], not [s].

    All the best,

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 514
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: s? z?

    Just two more questions on this topic...

    1.In my book, again, it says the "s" in "casinos" is pronounced "s"...
    But, shouldn't "o" be a voiced sound and "s" here pronounced "z"?

    2.Would you say "closets" and "clothes" rhyme with each other as they are pronounced "s" and "z"?

  3. rj76
    Guest
    #7
    1. Casinos is pronounced with a "z."

    2. I will tell you that they don't rhyme, but I'm not sure how to explain it so I'll leave that to someone else. :)

  4. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: s? z?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Just two more questions on this topic...

    1.In my book, again, it says the "s" in "casinos" is pronounced "s"...
    But, shouldn't "o" be a voiced sound and "s" here pronounced "z"?

    2.Would you say "closets" and "clothes" rhyme with each other as they are pronounced "s" and "z"?
    1. The first <s> is pronounced [s] and the second <s> is pronounced [z]:
    casinos => [kaesinoz]

    2. The <o> in 'closets' is pronounced [a] (i.e. cl[a]sets]) and the <o> in 'clothes' is pronounced [o] (i.e. cl[o]thes):

    closets => cl[a][z]et[s], clothes => cl[o]the[z] (The 'e' is silent)

    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2003
    • Posts: 514
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: s? z?

    Err...hmm...thank you for the reply.
    But do [s] and [z] rhyme with each oterh? :(

  5. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: s? z?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Err...hmm...thank you for the reply.
    But do [s] and [z] rhyme with each oterh? :(
    [z] and [s] do not rhyme with each other.

    All the best,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •