Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    tidy up or clear up

    Hello
    Could you please explain to me the difference between the following two phrasal verbs:
    tidy up (sth) or tidy (sth) up and clear up (sth) or clear (sth) up? Before my teacher (English native speaker) told me there are some differences between them but now I can’t figure out that.
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Hello
    Could you please explain to me the difference between the following two phrasal verbs:
    tidy up (sth) or tidy (sth) up and clear up (sth) or clear (sth) up? Before my teacher (English native speaker) told me there are some differences between them but now I can’t figure out that.
    Thank you.

    Hi

    tidy up =clean
    clear up = make smth. clear,clarify,explain, elucidate
    e.g
    Your room is a mess. You have to tidy it up.
    She had an argument with her boss regarding the monthly sales figures. She had to clear it up.
    The sky cleared up after that terrible storm.
    Follow the link for further information : clear up - definition of clear up by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Regards
    Last edited by Teia; 21-Jan-2007 at 17:22.

  3. #3
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Hello
    Could you please explain to me the difference between the following two phrasal verbs:
    tidy up (sth) or tidy (sth) up and clear up (sth) or clear (sth) up? Before my teacher (English native speaker) told me there are some differences between them but now I can’t figure out that.
    Thank you.
    Further to Teia's excellent explanation.

    There is a phrasal verb using 'clear' that has a similar meaning to 'tidy up'. It's 'clear away'.

    If you clear away the dishes I'll tidy up the living room.

    Though this meaning is not as specific as 'do the dishes', in a situation like this, it could be meant to have the same net effect.

  4. #4
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Further to Teia's excellent explanation.
    There is a phrasal verb using 'clear' that has a similar meaning to 'tidy up'. It's 'clear away'.
    If you clear away the dishes I'll tidy up the living room.
    Though this meaning is not as specific as 'do the dishes', in a situation like this, it could be meant to have the same net effect.
    Hi Riverkid

    Thank you for appreciating my answer although I know that there are many more other uses of the words "tidy" and "clear" as well.

    Regards

  5. #5
    Volcano1985's Avatar
    Volcano1985 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up


    tidy the room up

    clear the matter up

  6. #6
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi Riverkid
    Thank you for appreciating my answer although I know that there are many more other uses of the words "tidy" and "clear" as well.
    Regards
    I knew that you knew that, Teia. My response was to, potentially, clear up the situation for XYZ.

    Cheers, Teia.

  7. #7
    XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I knew that you knew that, Teia. My response was to, potentially, clear up the situation for XYZ.

    Cheers, Teia.
    Thank you very much for your quick replies. Please take a look at the extracts from an online dictionary:
    tidy up (sth) or tidy (sth) up mainly British & Australian

    to make a room or a group of things tidy by putting things in the correct place
    I'd better tidy up before our guests come.
    You can watch television when you've tidied up your room.


    clear up (sth) or clear (sth) up

    to make a place tidy and clean, especially by putting things where they usually belong
    We'll have to clear up before my parents come home.
    Can you clear up that mess in the kitchen before you go out?

    What’s the difference between “to make a room or a group of things tidy by putting things in the correct place” and “to make a place tidy and clean, especially by putting things where they usually belong”?
    Thank you.

  8. #8
    Philly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    The definition of 'clear up' that you've quoted would be an unusual usage, in my opinion. As defined, it's synonymous with 'tidy up'. Personally, I would not use 'clear up' that way. I'd probably say 'clean up' instead.

  9. #9
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: tidy up or clear up

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I knew that you knew that, Teia. My response was to, potentially, clear up the situation for XYZ.
    Cheers, Teia.
    Thank you very much Riverkid.

    Best wishes

Similar Threads

  1. message clear
    By Haroon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 22:01
  2. Not clear "Yet Again"
    By murli_18@yahoo.com in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2006, 14:28
  3. heavy heart and clear head?
    By bosunyum in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2006, 14:02
  4. Clear and fine?
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2004, 06:16
  5. steer clear of you
    By zeppy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 17:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •