Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default English name Sparky

    I was asked by an ex radio officer who is my old friend that he wanted to name his son ‘Sparky’ because the teachers of his son wanted him to have an English name.

    And my friend asked me whether it was spelled as ‘Sparky’ or ‘Sparkey’
    I scratch my head for I have never heard someone who is called Sparky and only know that ‘Sparky’ is a lingo for ‘radio operator’ on board of ocean-going vessels.

    I’d like to know how come they get ‘Sparky’ for radio operator.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: English name – Sparky

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I was asked by an ex radio officer who is my old friend that he wanted to name his son ‘Sparky’ because the teachers of his son wanted him to have an English name.

    And my friend asked me whether it was spelled as ‘Sparky’ or ‘Sparkey’
    I scratch my head for I have never heard someone who is called Sparky and only know that ‘Sparky’ is a lingo for ‘radio operator’ on board of ocean-going vessels.

    I’d like to know how come they get ‘Sparky’ for radio operator.
    The nickname 'Sparky' comes from the word spark gap, an early transmitter design which used electrical sparks to generate radio frequency oscillations. The radio would emit sparks of electricity.

    Aside from radio operators and electricians, "Sparky" is a popular nickname for people/animals who are lively and full of energy.

    All the best,

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A 'sparky idea' is one that is imaginative, lively and creatiive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A 'sparky idea' is one that is imaginative, lively and creatiive.
    as is tdol :)

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: English name Sparky

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I was asked by an ex radio officer who is my old friend that he wanted to name his son ‘Sparky’ because the teachers of his son wanted him to have an English name.

    And my friend asked me whether it was spelled as ‘Sparky’ or ‘Sparkey’
    I scratch my head for I have never heard someone who is called Sparky and only know that ‘Sparky’ is a lingo for ‘radio operator’ on board of ocean-going vessels.

    I’d like to know how come they get ‘Sparky’ for radio operator.
    In my opinion, Sparky makes a better nickname than a given name. It will work fine when the boy is a child, but it might not be taken seriously in his adult life.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: English name Sparky

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    In my opinion, Sparky makes a better nickname than a given name. It will work fine when the boy is a child, but it might not be taken seriously in his adult life.
    John "Sparky" Kerry for Prez :)

  7. #7
    Hong Kong Chinese Guest

    Default

    Casiopea, tdol, MikeNewyork, Thank you!
    This thread was started by me.

    It is very interesting to read the origin of ‘sparky’ by Casiopea. At first I guessed that in the old days transmitters used tubes to function and the salty air at sea is very moist, as a result when radio operator sending Morse Code, sparks were seen.

    I have ridiculed my old friend that if he named his son sparky, your son would follow his foot-step. However he disliked the job as seaman very much.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: English name Sparky

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    In my opinion, Sparky makes a better nickname than a given name. It will work fine when the boy is a child, but it might not be taken seriously in his adult life.
    John "Sparky" Kerry for Prez :)
    That's bad enough (and a bit of an oxymoron). Now, suppose that there was no "John". Vote for Sparky -- the serious candidate.

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Chinese
    Casiopea, tdol, MikeNewyork, Thank you!
    This thread was started by me.

    It is very interesting to read the origin of ‘sparky’ by Casiopea. At first I guessed that in the old days transmitters used tubes to function and the salty air at sea is very moist, as a result when radio operator sending Morse Code, sparks were seen.

    I have ridiculed my old friend that if he named his son sparky, your son would follow his foot-step. However he disliked the job as seaman very much.
    I have a colleague who named his son "Zigmont". I feel very bad for the child. Frank Zappa, a rock singer, named his two children Moon Unit (girl) and Dweezil (boy). Yeech!

  10. #10
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But Frank Zappa was great!
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help
    By zhangjin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2008, 19:47
  2. improving the use of english as a foreign language
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2007, 09:08
  3. any advice on how to improve my english which is in trouble!
    By lucyarliwu in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2006, 05:58
  4. [feeling] Annoying English?!
    By Wai_Wai in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2006, 08:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •