the meaning of "your call"

Status
Not open for further replies.

filmfan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi!
I see the phrase "your call" every now and then in very different contexts. I have a hard time to understand the meaning of it, when it's not used in the obvious meaning in sentences regarding telephones and the like. Now and then i have a faint idea of the meaning, but i can not *think* it in my mother tongue Swedish. Can you help me?
all the best

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
The word "call" in the phrase "your call" actually means a declaration made during a game, for example, the choice of heads or tails when a coin is tossed

• It’s your call.

Hope this helps.:)

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hi!
I see the phrase "your call" every now and then in very different contexts. I have a hard time to understand the meaning of it, when it's not used in the obvious meaning in sentences regarding telephones and the like. Now and then i have a faint idea of the meaning, but i can not *think* it in my mother tongue Swedish. Can you help me?
all the best

It may well have more than one meaning, FF. The one that comes first to mind has nothing to do with phones and it means 'it's your decision/choice'.

A: Do you wanna go to a movie or to the bar?

B: I'm easy. It's your call.

Ayuda-Tulong

Member Type
Other
It may well have more than one meaning, FF. The one that comes first to mind has nothing to do with phones and it means 'it's your decision/choice'.

A: Do you wanna go to a movie or to the bar?

B: I'm easy. It's your call.

I agree whole-heartedly with Riverkid. It means it's the decision of the person being spoken to.

Ravindra H

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi!
all the best

This phrase has more than one sense. As you said it can convey that the the (phone) caller wants to speak to you. And it also concludes that the decision is upto yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.