sntoeopt is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Could anyone check this e-mail, please?

Could anyone check this e-mail, please?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'd like to apply for the ***** internship programme, but I've got a question about the application. The **** website states that in addition to the application form, all students are required to submit a ‘Statement of Purpose’. When I take a look at the ****(another website) website (FAQ) it says; 'As part of the application package, you are required to submit: Academic transcripts and two letters of recommendation.' This in addition to the **** website requirements. Now my question is; What am I supposed to send with the application form? Only the 'Statement of Purpose' or the academic transcripts and the two letters of recommendation as well? I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Faithfully,

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Could anyone check this e-mail, please?

I'd get rid of the contractions and put a colon after 'Now my question is'. You could rephrase it to make it a bit indirect:

You:
    Now my question is; What am I supposed to send with the application form? Only the 'Statement of Purpose' or the academic transcripts and the two letters of recommendation as well? I look forward to hearing from you.
    Me:
    I would, therefore, be grateful if you could tell me whether the Statement of Purpose is enough or whether I should aslo include the documents stated in the FAQs.

It seems to me a good idea to try to be less direct so you don't come across as criticising them, but show how good your preparation is; after all, you want something from them