Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    me538 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post inverted word order

need some help guys. i am a student ready to become an English teacher here in mexico and need to explain "inverted word order" to the class! also need an energizer and a warm up! please some one help me!!!

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: inverted word order

Quote Originally Posted by me538 View Post
    need some help guys. i am a student ready to become an English teacher here in mexico and need to explain "inverted word order" to the class! also need an energizer and a warm up! please some one help me!!!
    For an energizer, actually for most of language learning, do things that have real life context, Me.

Bring in a bunch of recycle paper.

Manuel, crumple up two sheets/pieces of paper and try to hit the clock/blackboard/teacher/the garbage can/etc.

Throw underarm/windmill style/overarm/sidearm.

Teach -

+ He/You Got it/Dead on/Spot on/Right on the noggin/ etc

- Missed by a mile/ you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn/etc

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For me, "inverted word order" isn't quite clear enough to respond to, Me.

me538 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: inverted word order

hi,thanks for you reply ,dude. i truly appreciate your trying to help me. but i still have the same problem. i truly need some one who knows about this stuff. all i need is the warm up,introduce material that is relavant to the topic (inverted word order)and then presentation. thanks ,though.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

hi,thanks for you reply ,dude. i truly appreciate your trying to help me. but i still have the same problem. i truly need some one who knows about this stuff. all i need is the warm up,introduce material that is relavant to the topic (inverted word order)and then presentation. thanks ,though.
    Eighteen years at this stuff has allowed me to have grasped the handle at least once or twice, Me.

Why not tell us what structure you want to cover in your warmup exercise and since inverted word order can cover a fairly wide area, give us a few hints on exactly what you want to cover wrt to IWO?

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    In addition to what Riverkid has already asked you :
    What level is the class you are going to teach?- this is the most important thing you have to take into consideration when making a lesson plan.

Certain sentence types require inverted word order, in which a verb is placed before the subject. These types include interrogative sentences, conditional clauses without if, and declarative sentences that begin with negative or restrictive words such as never, rarely, scarcely, hardly ever, and not only.

Regards

me538 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: inverted word order

hi,teia_petrescus. you are on the right track and as for riverkid:something simple,buddy. it will do. thatīs it. my class is in course ten here in mexico,so itīs pretty advance. remember i am just presenting in a trainee classroom,so it doesnīt have to be long as long as i cover the topic. thatīs all. warm up (related to topic). material to show for(as in examples or so) and present the class. something simple. you have the clues already. please help me. my class should be about 20 minutes long "the longest". so it needs to be a succintly one. thanks

me538 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: inverted word order

hi,teia. you have got it dude! that is what i am after. i need to cover rarely ,scarcely,not soon had i,under no circumstances,etc., my class should be 20 minutes long,so i need to succintly cover it with a warm up relevant to topic,present material(also relevant with sntences like that),and do my presentation. nothing major......just very concise. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Try these sites. The first explains the grammar, the second is a lesson plan.

Inversion - Inverted sentences for advanced learners of English
    http://www.theglobalthinker.com/PDFs...ve.adverbs.pdf

Good luck!

me538 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: inverted word order

hi,casiopea. thanks for your help . it does contain important stuff,but the file is damaged on my end.....i donīt know whatīs wrong my adobe reader says it cannot be opened! thanks,though. the other site explains it good too. i am reading it right now.

Post Thanks / Like

The gist:

Start with "Have you ever...?
    Lead in "No, I have never...
    Add in "Never! No way! <strong responses>
    Ask students how they would finished "Never ... " <answer: Never have I...>

Introduce other negative adverbs (seldom, rarely, etc)

Have students work in pairs to come up with questions; e.g., stolen something, lied about your grades, etc

Activity (elicite and drill): ask and answer forum

All then best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast