• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The meaning of "we shall stand or fall by television".

E. B. White wrote, "We shall stand or fall by television, of that I am sure." What did E. B. White mean?

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The meaning of "we shall stand or fall by television".

Quote Originally Posted by sbchan View Post
    E. B. White wrote, "We shall stand or fall by television, of that I am sure." What did E. B. White mean?
    I think you need more context:

"I believe television is going to be the test of the modern world, and that in this new opportunity to see beyond the range of our vision, we shall discover a new and unbearable disturbance of the modern peace, or a saving radiance in the sky. We shall stand or fall by television - of that I am quite sure. ~E.B. White"

From the above context, it seems he was saying that TV has a positive effect, or negative effect. Or TV brings you good things or bad things. Trying to say the two opposing values TV has. Can someone tell me the meaning of preposition BY? Does it mean "because of"? That is, we shall stand because of TV, or fall because of TV.
    Thanks in advance.

BobK is online now Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    I think you need more context:

"I believe television is going to be the test of the modern world, and that in this new opportunity to see beyond the range of our vision, we shall discover a new and unbearable disturbance of the modern peace, or a saving radiance in the sky. We shall stand or fall by television - of that I am quite sure. ~E.B. White"

From the above context, it seems he was saying that TV has a positive effect, or negative effect. Or TV brings you good things or bad things. Trying to say the two opposing values TV has. Can someone tell me the meaning of preposition BY? Does it mean "because of"? That is, we shall stand because of TV, or fall because of TV.
    Thanks in advance.
    I think your interpretation of the passage is right, but I don't know about the 'by'. Usually when you 'stand by' something you uphold it: I said I trust him and I stand by that - which suggests that 'stand by television' means 'continue to rely on it' (which doesn't make sense). Sorry - I cant help.

b

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think your interpretation of the passage is right, but I don't know about the 'by'. Usually when you 'stand by' something you uphold it: I said I trust him and I stand by that - which suggests that 'stand by television' means 'continue to rely on it' (which doesn't make sense). Sorry - I cant help.

b
    You are right. I remember the famous "Stand by my man" which got Hillary Clinton into trouble for a moment. So I think probably "By" is not used here to form a fixed phrase, but is random combination which has a more free interpretation according to the context. Two cents.

Minnesota Wolf is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: The meaning of "we shall stand or fall by television".

TV is the king of the media technology they invented this machine more than 70 years ago and it still the best. I don't know what is going on???? , I can't imagine my life with out it