Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    importance of phonetics and Phonology ASAP

    What is the importance of using phonetics and phonology in teaching English for foreign students?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,158
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: importance of phonetics and Phonology ASAP

    Quote Originally Posted by dmt_mst
    What is the importance of using phonetics and phonology in teaching English for foreign students?
    These fields would help foreign students learn how to pronounce English words and sentences. :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    It depends on how you do it. Many students don't have much interest in learning phonemic symbols. Teaching in the UK, I do find that they way words change in spoken English is very important for students to understand native speakers, especially unstressed forms.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,158
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It depends on how you do it. Many students don't have much interest in learning phonemic symbols. Teaching in the UK, I do find that they way words change in spoken English is very important for students to understand native speakers, especially unstressed forms.
    That's an excellent point. I am actually a bigger fan of "phonics" than I am of "phonetics". The various vowel and consonant sounds can be taught without the use of elaborate symbols.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    I agree, but teaching the mechanics of the sound changes is useful. I rarely use symbols to explain things.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,158
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I agree, but teaching the mechanics of the sound changes is useful. I rarely use symbols to explain things.
    It takes longer to explain the symbols. +|

Similar Threads

  1. phonology and phonetics
    By Anonymous in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2004, 16:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •