tweety is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking How to start teaching English to Italians

Hi, Egnlish is my mother language & I've been asked by my boss to give English conversation classes twice a week to my Italian colleages who have a vague understanding of English. Firstly I've never taught English & I don't know where to start.I'm South African & living & working in Italy. I've already started this course 2 weeks ago & discouvered that most peole have a difficulty talking becuase they don't understand the way. I've started with an introduction on making an acquintance & after 2weeks we still not doing alot of conversation,any ideas for conversation exercises? This week I'd like to start teaching Grammar, my 1st lesson 'NOUNS'.What do you think?Going too fast?Did I perhaps skip something important? Hope you can help.....
    Thanks a stack!!!

tweety is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to start teaching English to Italians

Quote Originally Posted by tweety View Post
    Hi, Egnlish is my mother language & I've been asked by my boss to give English conversation classes twice a week to my Italian colleages who have a vague understanding of English. Firstly I've never taught English & I don't know where to start.I'm South African & living & working in Italy. I've already started this course 2 weeks ago & discouvered that most peole have a difficulty talking becuase they don't understand the way. I've started with an introduction on making an acquintance & after 2weeks we still not doing alot of conversation,any ideas for conversation exercises? This week I'd like to start teaching Grammar, my 1st lesson 'NOUNS'.What do you think?Going too fast?Did I perhaps skip something important? Hope you can help.....
    Thanks a stack!!!
    Where to begin teaching Italians English?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweety View Post
    Where to begin teaching Italians English?
    hi tweety,
    you should first of all get your students talking in english. dont focus on grammar points, work on contexts and context related vocabulary and expressions, do you understand? start out with "getting to know eachother" (question words + to be or simple present) present some vocabulary+expressions lists such as... professions, calender, telling time , on the phone , giving directions, invitation, apologies...
    focus on pronounciation, but let your students "flow" just correct them when the understanding is compromised... are they low-level students?

Post Thanks / Like

I am an Italian Teacher of English.
    Why don't you try to use my free English Course for Italian students?
    This is the link
    English For Italians
    If I can help you in any other way contact me at this address:
    EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    Ciao
    Carmelo Mangano

mike b is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: How to start teaching English to Italians

Hello, a little help and advise please ...

I am a native English speaker and I am teaching a lady from Russia English. She has had a few lessons and been in England for about three years. Her spoken English is very poor.

I am starting to teach, by getting her to realise / practice the phonetic sounds that letters make. The second part of the lesson is about reading English. The third and final part of her lesson is a conversation between us. This is the basic structure of her one hour lesson.

Her progress is slow but steady and would be better if she practised / did more homework, and spoke more English in her home.

Any advise please on the structure of a course of lessons. I am giving two lessons a week, of one hour duration.

What would you advise my fee be for these lessons in her home?

Thanking you in antisipation of your help.

Mike

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

A simple way to structure the course would be to use a coursebook- that way, it's structured for you.

There's a huge variation in prices; I am not in the UK now, but when I was there, people were charging anything from ten to thirty/thirty-five. It depends on what you think she can pay and what you're prepared to work for.

catwoman66 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to start teaching English to Italians

Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    I am an Italian Teacher of English.
    Why don't you try to use my free English Course for Italian students?
    This is the link
    English For Italians
    If I can help you in any other way contact me at this address:
    EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    Ciao
    Carmelo Mangano
    Hi Carmelo, I have used a couple of your sheets for my Italian students, I am teaching beginners and elementary, they have come in handy, thanks cat