• Post Thanks / Like

Smile funny about ginger

Fee has really gorgeous, long, wavy, red hair, which she is very very proud of, even though some people are a bit funny about ginger, aren't they? But she has this really white skin and these spookily light green eyes, and when you try to imagine her with brown or black or blonde hair, it makes you realize that they'd be all wrong and the only colour hair that works is ginger.

These lines are also from "INDIE KIDD," and first I don't know why the author put the line in blue in this context; second, is it contradictory that Fee has red hair in the beginning in the context, whereas in the end the author writes that the only color that works is ginger?
    Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: funny about ginger

From red hair: Information from Answers.com

Red hair (also referred to as auburn, ginger, or titian) is a hair color that varies from a deep red through to bright copper.

Red hair can also be subject to ribbing and ridicule. In the Middle Ages red hair was disparagingly called “judas-colored”, in reference to Judas Iscariot. In modern-day UK and Ireland, the word "ginger" is derogatorily used to describe red headed people. Redheads are also sometimes referred to as "carrot tops." This "gingerphobia"...

A common stereotype of redheads is that they have fiery tempers.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Fee has really gorgeous, long, wavy, red hair, which she is very very proud of, even though some people are a bit funny about ginger, aren't they? But she has this really white skin and these spookily light green eyes, and when you try to imagine her with brown or black or blonde hair, it makes you realize that they'd be all wrong and the only colour hair that works is ginger.

These lines are also from "INDIE KIDD," and first I don't know why the author put the line in blue in this context; second, is it contradictory that Fee has red hair in the beginning in the context, whereas in the end the author writes that the only color that works is ginger?
    Thanks.
    Ginger - a red or orange-brown colour:
    His nickname was Ginger because of his ginger hair.

here the author uses 'ginger' as a color which is the color of Fee's hair.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: funny about ginger

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    From red hair: Information from Answers.com

Red hair (also referred to as auburn, ginger, or titian) is a hair color that varies from a deep red through to bright copper.

Red hair can also be subject to ribbing and ridicule. In the Middle Ages red hair was disparagingly called “judas-colored”, in reference to Judas Iscariot. In modern-day UK and Ireland, the word "ginger" is derogatorily used to describe red headed people. Redheads are also sometimes referred to as "carrot tops." This "gingerphobia"...

A common stereotype of redheads is that they have fiery tempers.
    Thanks, Casiopea, for your flawless reply and extra knowledge. You not only open my eyes but make my day; I'm greatly indebt to you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: funny about ginger

Quote Originally Posted by sandhya.sha View Post
    Ginger - a red or orange-brown colour:
    His nickname was Ginger because of his ginger hair.

here the author uses 'ginger' as a color which is the color of Fee's hair.
    Thanks, sandhya, I got it.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Thanks, Casiopea, for your flawless reply and extra knowledge. You not only open my eyes but make my day; I'm greatly indebt to you.
    You're most welcome, piousoul.