• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do we say after work?

There is an expression in Persian. It literally means: "Don't be tired". The expression is used in these situations:
    1) After a work is done, for example after a class is finished. Something like "call it a day".
    2) While you see someone doing a hard work, it is a kind of showing respect to his perseverance. In this situation, the answer is "Thank you!".

I want to know if there is an equvalent of this expression in English, especially as to the second sense?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do we say after work?

Quote Originally Posted by Donbelid View Post
    There is an expression in Persian. It literally means: "Don't be tired". The expression is used in these situations:
    1) After a work is done, for example after a class is finished. Something like "call it a day". ...
    You can only 'call it a day' before the work is finished: 'I think we've done enough for now. Let's call it a day.' At the end of a job, you could say 'That's that done.' If it's something you've been meaning to do for a long time: 'That's that out of the way.' I've also heard (very informal) 'That's a good job jobbed'.
    2) While you see someone doing a hard work, it is a kind of showing respect to his perseverance. In this situation, the answer is "Thank you!".
    I want to know if there is an equvalent of this expression in English, especially as to the second sense?
    The good wishes for (2) could be 'Stick at it' or - again, quite informal - 'More power to you'. (This is a stereotypical stage-Irish greeting; I have no idea whether it's really used in Ireland.) I think the AmE for this situation would be 'Way to go'.

b

PS
    'Work' is not countable in the context you gave. You could say 'After a task [or 'job' or 'day's work'] is done...'.
    Last edited by BobK; 31-Jan-2007 at 14:33. Reason: Tweak format

Donbelid is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Bob, it was a big help.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the expression "don't be tired" in my mother language too. But I'm not sure if it means "way to go" in English. When we say "don't be tired" to a person who's working hard, we are saying "take it easy, don't get stressed out." things like that. Is this what you meant, Donbelid?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yeeway View Post
    We have the expression "don't be tired" in my mother language too. But I'm not sure if it means "way to go" in English. When we say "don't be tired" to a person who's working hard, we are saying "take it easy, don't get stressed out." things like that. Is this what you meant, Donbelid?
    Ah, for that meaning we'd say 'Don't overdo it', or just 'Take it easy'.

b

Donbelid is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

No. By "don't be tired" we mean "you did a great job and I hope you are not tired" or "way to go" as Bob said. For take it easy we say "sakht nagir" which means "don't take it hard".

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

If somebody is still working when you are going home in England we would say, "Hey! don't work too hard." This is like saying you should be going home soon, but is also recognition of their commitment to the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use "more power to you" in the States in this sort of situation. It has an implication of "you shouldn't/ it's pointless for you to do this thing you're doing, but if you really want to . . . "

"Way to go" is used after a task/job has been completed, but keep in mind that it's sort of juvenille - you wouldn't hear a boss saying that to an employee, for example (unless it was being used sarcastically).

"Good job" is used after a task/job; it's pretty generic and can be used in most situations.

"Keep up the good work" is used either during or after a task/job and can be used in most situations. This one is the closest I can think of to #2 in your first post. "Don't work too hard" is the closest translation, but I don't think it's common to say "Thanks" after it . . . unless it was your boss telling you, "Don't work too hard . . . take the rest of the day off!" :)

(A more common response to "Don't work too hard", as far as I know, is "Yeah, I'm about to finish up," or "Well, I have to get this done". Stuff like that.)