Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: roll up

  1. #1
    whl626 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default roll up

    The roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down ?

    What does the sentence mean ? Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Chizu Guest

    Default

    it doesnt really make sense to me.

  3. #3
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: roll up

    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    The roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down ?
    Should that be stroll?
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: roll up

    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    The roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down ?

    What does the sentence mean ? Thanks in advance
    It means that there are so few people around at night that the sidewalks aren't used or needed. This expression is used to refer to small towns or to major cities that have no central nightlife areas.

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Re:
    • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

    I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

    :)

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Re:
    • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

    I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

    :)
    Yes, indeed. The first time I stayed in downtown Dallas, I was amazed by what happened at 5 P.M. Everybody fled to the suburbs. I used the expression then to describe the results. +|

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Re:
    • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

    I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

    :)
    Yes, indeed. The first time I stayed in downtown Dallas, I was amazed by what happened at 5 P.M. Everybody fled to the suburbs. I used the expression then to describe the results. +|
    So it was kind of lonesome in downtown Dallas after 5PM?

    :wink:

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Re:
    • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

    I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

    :)
    Yes, indeed. The first time I stayed in downtown Dallas, I was amazed by what happened at 5 P.M. Everybody fled to the suburbs. I used the expression then to describe the results. +|
    So it was kind of lonesome in downtown Dallas after 5PM?
    I would not call it "Party Central". :wink:

  9. #9
    whl626 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Exactly fit into the story I am reading. Yeah, they are in a small town. Someone in the group seems to know the town well and used this phrase.

    They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

    Thanks :)

  10. #10
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    Exactly fit into the story I am reading. Yeah, they are in a small town. Someone in the group seems to know the town well and used this phrase.

    They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

    Thanks :)
    You're very welcome. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. TUCK AND ROLL
    By lukre in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2004, 21:52
  2. throw vs. roll
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2004, 12:43
  3. need your advice
    By billy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2003, 19:21
  4. got confused
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2003, 21:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •