Post Thanks / Like

Smile Phantasmagorical Fingers

Slowly, I read the 14 diagrams that showed me how to wrap a piece of rope in as intricate pattern around my fingers. Then--hey presto!--with one tug, the rope was supposed to slip away, knot-free!

KNOT LIKELY.

For a start, is Phantasmagorical Fingers an official name for this kind of trick? If I use magic fingers instead, could native speakers undersatnd?

Second, what is KNOT LIKELY supposed to mean? From the context, I see it means there are still knots entangled among her fingers, but I wonder why she used knot likely instead of knot still or something like that.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Phantasmagorical Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Slowly, I read the 14 diagrams that showed me how to wrap a piece of rope in as intricate pattern around my fingers. Then--hey presto!--with one tug, the rope was supposed to slip away, knot-free!

KNOT LIKELY.

For a start, is Phantasmagorical Fingers an official name for this kind of trick? If I use magic fingers instead, could native speakers undersatnd?

Indubitably, we could, PS. But Phantasmagorical Fingers is so much more descriptive, a much more awesome term.

Second, what is KNOT LIKELY supposed to mean? From the context, I see it means there are still knots entangled among her fingers, but I wonder why she used knot likely instead of knot still or something like that.
    'knot likely' is a play on 'not likely'. She is expressing her exasperation. After studying and practicing this trick, it wasn't as easy as they led her to believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Phantasmagorical Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    'knot likely' is a play on 'not likely'. She is expressing her exasperation. After studying and practicing this trick, it wasn't as easy as they led her to believe.
    Thanks, riverkid, for the stroke of genius.

Shazam!!!

KNOT LIKELY, how come it never flashed into my mind.