Post Thanks / Like

Smile minging at magic

GOOD GRIEF. I wa rotten at hair-wrapping, I sucked at guessing star signs, I was terible at talking to animals, I'd never make it in advertising and now I was minging at magic.

I couldn't find the word minging nowhere in my dictionary; I suspect it's a typo. If yes, what is the correct word here?
    THANKS.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: minging at magic

Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    GOOD GRIEF. I wa rotten at hair-wrapping, I sucked at guessing star signs, I was terible at talking to animals, I'd never make it in advertising and now I was minging at magic.

I couldn't find the word minging nowhere in my dictionary; I suspect it's a typo. If yes, what is the correct word here?
    THANKS.
    We'd need more context to figure that out, PS or I could try this,

SHAZAM!!!!

Nope, it didn't work. I need more context. Oh, by the way, what was her name?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: minging at magic

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    We'd need more context to figure that out, PS or I could try this,

SHAZAM!!!!

Nope, it didn't work. I need more context. Oh, by the way, what was her name?
    Thanks, riverkid. Her name is Indie, and the excerpt is from one of the "INDIE KIDD" books called "How to be GOOD(ish)."

The context is Indie also goofed up her magic talent.

Her teacher Miss Levy asked her to do a CV a few days before in which she had to list three talents and she couldn't think of none. Therefore, she was desperate to find what she was capable of. Besides, her friends, Mum, step-brother, step-mum, and father all chipped in, but they proved not very helpful in the end.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post

THANKS.
    It's not a typo, but I'd be surprised if the word 'minging' had found its way into a dictionary yet; it hasn't found its way into my lexicon, but my children use it to mean disgusting/rank/dirty/disorganized/unpleasant/unfair. Anything a school-child doesn't like is minging. In some dialects, a 'minger' is an unattractive woman.

I've never met 'minging' in the sense of incompetent/spectacularly bad though. I think the writer probably chose it because of the alliteration: sucked/star signs, terrible/talking, I'd/advertising, minging/magic.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: minging at magic

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    It's not a typo, but I'd be surprised if the word 'minging' had found its way into a dictionary yet; it hasn't found its way into my lexicon, but my children use it to mean disgusting/rank/dirty/disorganized/unpleasant/unfair. Anything a school-child doesn't like is minging. In some dialects, a 'minger' is an unattractive woman.

I've never met 'minging' in the sense of incompetent/spectacularly bad though. I think the writer probably chose it because of the alliteration: sucked/star signs, terrible/talking, I'd/advertising, minging/magic.

b
    What you commented is really rare and prescious, and I got the picture.

Many thanks to you and your family from me.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit of searching illustrated to me that this is a BrE word.

Bob, could this 'minging' in,

"and now I was minging at magic"

hold a meaning similar to,

" ... and now, here I was, f**king around at/with magic"?
    Last edited by riverkid; 03-Feb-2007 at 02:32.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess so - this word has a huge range of meanings - in fact, I suspect that its users 'choose' it more for its status (as young/'alternative') than because they have a precise meaning in mind.

b