Post Thanks / Like

Default Asking a question about English

Dear Teacher,
    Hi,Good day !First of all I would like to express my sincerest gratefulness to have been accepted as a member of English Forum Member.
    I am a very keen learner of English Language and have been doing the researh ever since when I was in my early twenties,as I needed to use it in my job, and also aware the importance of the language and the ability of being accurate and precise at all time (if it is posible).Gradually , I 've cultivated a habit and also my hobby to learn more about it.I did Cambridge FCE (First certificate in English) in 2004 and got a pass from it.I wasn't pleased with my results as I only got a C. However, I have become more determined ever since and I want to learn from my failure.I read everything that contents English and I look up any words that I don't understand in the dictionary.I am now wanting to do the Cambridge CELTA by the end of this year ( if nothing prevents me from doing it).
    Here are two sentences that I am not really sure if they are grammatically correct,and I wonder if you mind answering me.The first one is' I'm going into town.'or I'm going to town.'Will there be any difference to use both?The second question is will there be alright to say 'I 'm findind my glasses' instead of 'I'm finding my pair of glasses'
    I will be really grateful if you could tell me the correct usage of the language.

Your sincerely,
    Yoko

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Asking a question about English

Welcome, Yoko.

Both of these are acceptable and there isn't a difference in meaning that I can think of - at least where I come from.
    [1] I'm going into town.
    [2] I'm going to town.

Below, try the verb 'looking for'. The verb 'finding' doesn't work.
    [3] I'm finding my glasses. => I'm looking for my glasses.
    [4] I'm finding my pair of glasses. => I'm looking for my pair of glasses.

Both [3] and [4] are acceptable and there isn't a difference in meaning - as long as 'glasses' means eyeglasses, spectacles.

All the best.

Correction
    Is there any difference between the two?
    Is it all right to say...

Note that, Is it all right to use alright? Despite the appearance of alright in the works of such well-known writers as Flannery O’Connor, Langston Hughes, and James Joyce, the merger of all and right has never been accepted as standard. This is peculiar, since similar fusions like already and altogether have never raised any objections. The difference may lie in the fact that already and altogether became single words back in the Middle Ages, whereas alright (at least in its current meaning) has only been around for a little over a century and was called out by language critics as a misspelling. You might think a century would be plenty of time for such an unimposing spelling to gain acceptance as a standard variant, and you will undoubtedly come across alright in magazine and newspaper articles. But if you decide to use alright, especially in formal writing, you run the risk that some of your readers will view it as an error, while others may think you are willfully breaking convention. Source