Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    noaction is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

    external sandhi...need help!

    A few of my classmates and I were discussing the process by which phrases are condensed into single words, especially in different regional dialects, ie "how do you do" became "howdy", "you all" became "y'all". I know that this is related to external sandhi (wherein the pronunciation of one morpheme changes when it is immediately followed by another), but I know there is a better term to describe what this process is. Please help!

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor,
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: external sandhi...need help!

    You could call it 'junctural metanalysis', which is where the boundaries of wordcs get mixed up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts