Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Taste like feet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Taste like feet

    from FRIENDS

    Ross: it tastes like feet!

    what does taste like feet mean?

  2. #2
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Imagine that you've been outside working all day while wearing a pair of heavy boots and the temperature was almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Your feet have been sweating and when you go inside and take your boots off, your socks are soaked with perspiration. When you peel your socks off, the odor from your feet almost knocks you over.

    Now imagine if something you were eating tasted like that odor.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Imagine that you've been outside working all day while wearing a pair of heavy boots and the temperature was almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Your feet have been sweating and when you go inside and take your boots off, your socks are soaked with perspiration. When you peel your socks off, the odor from your feet almost knocks you over.

    Now imagine if something you were eating tasted like that odor.
    That explantion is awesome, but I wonder whether taste like feet is an idiom or not. Could I utter this:

    What my woman cooks tastes like feet.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    That explantion is awesome, but I wonder whether taste like feet is an idiom or not. Could I utter this:

    What my woman cooks tastes like feet.

    Thanks.
    Yes, you could say that, but not if you wanted her to remain your woman for very much longer.

  5. #5
    Super Sonic is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Yes, you could say that, but not if you wanted her to remain your woman for very much longer.
    Hahahaha! lol, mister, you've just made my day

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sonic View Post
    Hahahaha! lol, mister, you've just made my day
    There are fewer and fewer things to laugh about, but if my sentence is the source of laughing-stock, then I'm willing and ready to make more ridiculable ones to make ereryone's day.

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Mind you, we say that cheese smells like feet and that's meant to be polite- it shows that the cheese is powerful, but I doubt that anyone would want their cooking to be compared to sweaty feet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Mind you, we say that cheese smells like feet and that's meant to be polite- it shows that the cheese is powerful, but I doubt that anyone would want their cooking to be compared to sweaty feet.
    Hi, Tdol, this phrase really triggers my appetite. Would you shed more light on the line in green? Why on earth is it that cheese smells like feet refers to the cheese is powerful? Thanks.

  9. #9
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Hi, Tdol, this phrase really triggers my appetite. Would you shed more light on the line in green? Why on earth is it that cheese smells like feet refers to the cheese is powerful? Thanks.
    I think Tdol is referring particularly to soft cheeses like brie or camembert; if they smell strongly, then they will have a powerful flavour.

    b

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Taste like feet

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    There are fewer and fewer things to laugh about, but if my sentence is the source of laughing-stock, then I'm willing and ready to make more ridiculable ones to make ereryone's day.
    Actually, piousoul, it's Ouisch and her lovely description of smelly feet who made us laugh!

Similar Threads

  1. eat bananas with one's feet?
    By wml in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2005, 20:03
  2. Foot / Feet
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2004, 10:04
  3. on one's feet
    By Taka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2004, 23:41
  4. 'Acquired taste'
    By emphyrio in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2004, 09:35
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2003, 19:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk