• Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

No school, No Future, No English

"Nowadays schools are very boring, I like staying at home and playing computer games" I remembered one of the sixth-formers words when I sat down at my desk to finish the letter to a friend of mine.
    Suddenly an idea came to my mind. What if I start a thread in the forum about school in general and particularly teaching English in the school of the future.
    1. How do you think school will be like in the future?
    2. Do you think on-line English schools will become more popular?
    3. Is it real to see computers in the classrooms instead of teachers?
    The list of the questions can be very long. I'd like you to write your own questions and then we could discuss the most important ones. I hope the issue is urgent. I look forward to hearing your ideas soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No school, No Future, No English

hi harry,I think this topic is very urgent indeed because the whole world is controlled now by one word which is technology ,this word invades everything in our life and of course it has many benefits but also it will have some bad effects if we badly use it.This is in general,but if we talk about school in particular , in my opinion ,the technology will invade education more and more ,there will be no need for school,why we need it and we can get any information just by opening computer and just click,so the information will be get easier but this mean also that there will be no role for teacher ,he will be just a guide or may be he won't have a role at all.I don't know it is something confusing but what makes me happy is that ,in these days i won't be a live to see all this,i will be in a more comfortable place thinking about wonderful things and not about teaching.

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huda23 View Post
    hi harry,I think this topic is very urgent indeed because the whole world is controlled now by one word which is technology ,this word invades everything in our life and of course it has many benefits but also it will have some bad effects if we badly use it.This is in general,but if we talk about school in particular , in my opinion ,the technology will invade education more and more ,there will be no need for school,why we need it and we can get any information just by opening computer and just click,so the information will be get easier but this mean also that there will be no role for teacher ,he will be just a guide or may be he won't have a role at all.I don't know it is something confusing but what makes me happy is that ,in these days i won't be a live to see all this,i will be in a more comfortable place thinking about wonderful things and not about teaching.
    Don't say such things " I won't be living in those days". I think you'll live a very happy and long life. I'd like to know if you have any questions concerning this thread. I must say that I like your way of thinking.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 09-Aug-2007 at 18:20.

Annette is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: No school, No Future, No English

Hi - I agree that making our ESOL classes as exciting as possible is important. As a teacher of ESOL I find that I could never get bored as there are always new strategies, theories and technologies to learn - in order to keep up to date with the latest trends and to keep the subject alive and interesting for my students.

I am doing an online course on blogs and wikis at the moment - it is taking hours - but I am sure once I get used to it I will be able to use this technology in my classroom. I am oldish at 46 and really believe that it is never too late to learn something new - in fact it keeps me "young" and interested in my career as a teacher.

My students will be amazed that I have learnt something new and hopefully will be inspired that even an oldie can learn something!!!

Nothing will replace the input of a teacher and one-on-one assistance or classroom lectures/activities. There is nothing like communicating with someone who is right in front of you. I also believe that we can use technology as the motivator or "dessert" of the lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

hi harry,thank you for tackling this important issue,,,,future........i read a wonderful novel ( anew wonderful world),i'm not sure of the title because i read it translated so the title was the translation of the puplisher,the author imagines the future in which people are classified since birth;this will be a worker ,this will be a scientist and so on.......according to their criteria,what i mean is that in this novel the author imagines that any human being won't have the freedom to decide what his life will be like ,he won't have the minimum of free will, he won't even try to improve himself because his mind will accept that as a destiny;a worker won't try to be better because in his mind he is programming to be like that and no more.of course this novel is a point of view and i don't agree with many things in it but i agree that machines will take the role of human being more and more ,will the machines replace human beings ,,,,,i don't know.and also i agree that emotions and feelings between people will be less because everything will be under control and who read the novel (the fire man) will feel that as this is its controlling idea...................then we move to teaching
    i have many questions about education in the future:
    1- what will be the kind of activities in the classroom ,the focus will be on what group work,pair work or we will focus on individual only?
    2- how will be the relation between pupils and teachers,will the role of the teacher exclude or there won't be a role at all?
    3- how will the input change ?will the contents of curriculum be based only on computers ?
    4-will the blackboard be a history and will pupils see it only in museum?
    i will try to think deeply about the topic and to write some serious questions about this very important topic.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Hi - I agree that making our ESOL classes as exciting as possible is important. As a teacher of ESOL I find that I could never get bored as there are always new strategies, theories and technologies to learn - in order to keep up to date with the latest trends and to keep the subject alive and interesting for my students.

I am doing an online course on blogs and wikis at the moment - it is taking hours - but I am sure once I get used to it I will be able to use this technology in my classroom. I am oldish at 46 and really believe that it is never too late to learn something new - in fact it keeps me "young" and interested in my career as a teacher.

My students will be amazed that I have learnt something new and hopefully will be inspired that even an oldie can learn something!!!

Nothing will replace the input of a teacher and one-on-one assistance or classroom lectures/activities. There is nothing like communicating with someone who is right in front of you. I also believe that we can use technology as the motivator or "dessert" of the lesson.
    Hi, Annette!
    First of all let me tell you that you aren't old at all. A lot of people start their serious career at my age. I'm a little older than you are. From what you've written I can see that you are full of energy and want to improve your teaching skills. I wish you all the best in the future. We have to show the right road to our young colleagues. Please focus on the questions above or write your own ones. Cheers!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

hi harry,thank you for tackling this important issue,,,,future........i read a wonderful novel ( anew wonderful world),i'm not sure of the title because i read it translated so the title was the translation of the puplisher,the author imagines the future in which people are classified since birth;this will be a worker ,this will be a scientist and so on.......according to their criteria,what i mean is that in this novel the author imagines that any human being won't have the freedom to decide what his life will be like ,he won't have the minimum of free will, he won't even try to improve himself because his mind will accept that as a destiny;a worker won't try to be better because in his mind he is programming to be like that and no more.of course this novel is a point of view and i don't agree with many things in it but i agree that machines will take the role of human being more and more ,will the machines replace human beings ,,,,,i don't know.and also i agree that emotions and feelings between people will be less because everything will be under control and who read the novel (the fire man) will feel that as this is its controlling idea...................then we move to teaching
    i have many questions about education in the future:
    1- what will be the kind of activities in the classroom ,the focus will be on what group work,pair work or we will focus on individual only?
    2- how will be the relation between pupils and teachers,will the role of the teacher exclude or there won't be a role at all?
    3- how will the input change ?will the contents of curriculum be based only on computers ?
    4-will the blackboard be a history and will pupils see it only in museum?
    i will try to think deeply about the topic and to write some serious questions about this very important topic.
    Good for you! We have enough questions to start our discussion. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't inderstand ,do you mean other questions about this topic ? or new ideas concerning this issue ? as i said i will try to read more about this topic because what i write before was from my mind ,what i imagine and not from trustful sources. but i have a question : do you still think that my way of thinking is good or do you change your opinion ?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't inderstand ,do you mean other questions about this topic ? or new ideas concerning this issue ? as i said i will try to read more about this topic because what i write before was from my mind ,what i imagine and not from trustful sources. but i have a question : do you still think that my way of thinking is good or do you change your opinion ?
    Hi, Huda!
    You have already written your questions, you can focus on the discussion. As to your way of thinking I really like it because you always speak your mind and that's very good indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for saying this , i'm proud of that .so , let's begin the discussion and try to answer the questions that we present concerning this issue , but where are the other members of the forum ? , i think this topic is very important and they didn't give it much concern , I don't know why? , I hope that they will participate more in this thread .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast