Thread: by the hundreds

Post Thanks / Like

Default by the hundreds

I had a problem, and I put it before my father. This was at the depth of the Depression, actors were out of work by the hundreds, yet I wanted to leave the show the show because I needed new experiences and challenges. But also I was scared.

Pop heard me out, then said, "It's very comfortable to have a steady job. You shouldn't be ashamed of liking it. But there are some people who always have to test themselves, to stretch their wings and try new winds. If you think you can find more happiness and usefulness this way, then you should do it.

( depression - In 1929 which resulted from the collapse of US stock market)

Could anyone explain the highlighted words, please?

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: by the hundreds

"the depth of the Depression" - during the lowest point of the Great Depression. There were very few jobs, and money was scarce.

"by the hundreds" - this is just another way of saying "hundreds of actors were out of work"

"Pop heard me out" - His father stayed quiet and listened carefully to everything that his son had to say.
    (Note: Usually when we say "hear me out" to someone, it's because we are telling him something that sounds impractical or unreasonable. For example: "Dad, I want to quit my job. Before you say anything, hear me out. I've got a lot of money saved, and my car is paid for. I'd like to take a year off and travel across the country."

"Stretch their wings" - try new things. Go beyond your "comfort" zone - visit new places, experience different types of activities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    I had a problem, and I put it before my father. This was at the depth of the Depression, [ =at the time when it was the worst]actors were out of work by the hundreds [=hundreds of actors had no jobs to earn their living], yet I wanted to leave the show the show because I needed new experiences and challenges. But also I was scared.

Pop heard me out [=listened to me], then said, "It's very comfortable to have a steady job. You shouldn't be ashamed of liking it. But there are some people who always have to test themselves, to stretch their wings and try new winds [= to try doing another job]. If you think you can find more happiness and usefulness this way, then you should do it.

( depression - In 1929 which resulted from the collapse of US stock market)

Could anyone explain the highlighted words, please?
    Hi, Gary,
    Hope it helps.
    Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi, Gary,
    Hope it helps.
    Regards
    Yes, it helped me.
    Thanks to Ouish and Humble. (special thanks to Ouish for long explanation that made me to understand)