• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Logic

Dear teachers,
    The following is part of a passage:

Because of its large student body ( often exceeding 20,000) consisting of many people from different countries the university exposes its students to many different cultural, social, and out-of-class programmes. On the other hand, the smaller, more homogeneous students body of the small college affords greater opportunities in such activities.

I don't think this is logic. The last sentence should be ...... the small college affords less opportunities in such activities. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Logic

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

Because of its large student body ( often exceeding 20,000) consisting of many people from different countries the university exposes its students to many different cultural, social, and out-of-class programmes. On the other hand, the smaller, more homogeneous students body of the small college affords greater opportunities in such activities.

I don't think this is logic. The last sentence should be ...... the small college affords less opportunities in such activities. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    You are right. It doesn't seem to make much sense. You would think they would say something different. Perhaps: "A small college affords closer relationships between students and instructors. In a small college the professors are more likely to be teaching classes."

:)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I agree with you and Ron. This is poorly written. I think what the author is trying to say is that a large school offers a wider range of activities, but some individuals will find it easier to participate in activities in a smaller school, where they may be better known and where there is less competition. For example, it would be very difficult to play football for a large university. Most of the players are recruited and are on athletic scholarships. In a small college, a smaller and less-talented player might be able to make the team. :wink:

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    You are right. It doesn't seem to make much sense. You would think they would say something different. Perhaps: "A small college affords closer relationships between students and instructors. In a small college the professors are more likely to be teaching classes."

:)

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I agree with you and Ron. This is poorly written. I think what the author is trying to say is that a large school offers a wider range of activities, but some individuals will find it easier to participate in activities in a smaller school, where they may be better known and where there is less competition. For example, it would be very difficult to play football for a large university. Most of the players are recruited and are on athletic scholarships. In a small college, a smaller and less-talented player might be able to make the team. :wink:
    :D :D :D

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    :D :D :D
    You're welcome! :wink: