Thread: layed or lay

Anonymous Guest

Default layed or lay

Would you say 'I am doing an English degree or would it be said as I am studying an English degree?

Also,

Is the correct pronunciation the dog lay down or the dog layed down?

I am studying English, would you say that it is appropriate to call some English bad and some good? :)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Miss Walker,

I am not a teacher here but am pretty sure that you have to say: "The dog lay down" (from the verb "to lie").

As for the first sentence, why not simply say: "I am studying English" ?

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: layed or lay

Quote Originally Posted by jessica walker
    Would you say 'I am doing an English degree or would it be said as I am studying an English degree?
    Say: "I am studying for an English degree." Or, even better, say: "I am studying for a degree in English."

Also,

What Buuerkes said. :wink:

I am studying English, would you say that it is appropriate to call some English bad and some good? :)
    That is a subject of endless debate. I would say yes.

:)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: layed or lay

[quote="jessica walker"]Would you say 'I am doing an English degree or would it be said as I am studying an English degree?[quote]

The suggestions you have received are good ones. "Doing" a degree is commonly used, but that use of "do" is very informal. One could say one is pursuing/earning/working toward/ a degree in English. Of course, I am studying English works too.

This verb is a constant problem. The transitive verb (lay something) is lay/laid (present/past). The intransitive verb (lie) is lie/lay (present/past).

There are different levels of English. Standard English is considered by most to be the most correct. There is also informal English, which is acceptable in most speech and in informal writing. It contains some slang and there is some relaxing of grammar rules. There are also levels of English that are characterized by much slang and poor grammar. That English is bad, in my opinion. One of the problems with poor English is that it can become a habit. When that happens, it can be difficult to switch to correct English when it is needed. :wink: