damien_gaucher is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Application Letter

Hei Everybody,

I would like to apply at a University, could you please tell me what could be improved on my cover letter?

I am well aware that some parts are not really nice-looking - I'll underline what I think could be made better (though I couldn't tell how! ) and write a comment for the more amiguous sentences.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Best Regards,

Damien

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to enquire whether you have a vacancy next University Year in the Modern Foreign Languages Section for a Teaching Assistant in French. I enclose a copy of my CV for your consideration.

I saw that your department provides "French for Specific Purposes" lessons to students, and I would be pleased to make a significant contribution to the Language Centre in that sense.
    (I mean I'd be glad to contribute to teaching "for specific purposes"... that's what "in that sense" is supposed to mean...)

As you will see from my CV, I am currently working for the University of Oulu as a Trainee Teacher, so as to finish up my Master's degree. In this present position I am responsible for managing a number of classes.

Over the last two years I have developed a piece of educational software in English Language and taught a significant number of English and French lessons. As a matter of course, this also meant preparing the lessons, assessing and supporting the learners. Furthermore, I have passed the CELTA course in Germany, which has helped me improve my self-evaluation as a teacher, (and consequently my professional skills). (I put it into brackets since I'm not sure whether this is relevant or not...)

I would be grateful if you would contact me if you have any vacancies in the French Section, or keep my information on file in case of future openings.
    I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Faithfully,

xx

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Application Letter

next University Year- Academic Year
    I would be pleased to make a significant contribution to the Language Centre in that sense- I would like the opportunity to contribute to that area of your operations.
    and consequently- I don't feel strongly one way or the other.
    Good luck

damien_gaucher is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Application Letter

Thanks for the help. Kiitos