Thread: reality bites

• Post Thanks / Like

Talking reality bites

What does "reality bite(s)" means. Is this phrase synonimous to "bitter truth".

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: reality bites

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    It is an impolite way of saying you dislike smething or somebody and you think something is very bad.I don't think it has something to do with the phrase'bitter truth'.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    I thought it was used when you had a dream or a fantasy, and then reality (everyday life) came along and spoiled it. Reality bites you.

Bitter truth is along the right lines, but a closer synonym is "come down to earth with a bang".

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehead View Post
    I thought it was used when you had a dream or a fantasy, and then reality (everyday life) came along and spoiled it. Reality bites you.

Bitter truth is along the right lines, but a closer synonym is "come down to earth with a bang".
    Excuse me, but could you explain for me the words in bold, especially the word bang?
    Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Reality bites, the truth can be disagreeable and/or annoying.

We're told in kindergarten that we can be doctors, lawyers, poets, even fire fighters. The reality is, when we grow up we don't have the money to afford to go to medical school, the connections to get into law school, the creativity to be poet, or the height and weight to be a fire fighter. In the end we can't be whatever we want to be. Reality bites! The truth doesn't hurt, nor is it bitter. It bites - it's disagreeable and annoying.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Excuse me, but could you explain for me the words in bold, especially the word bang?
    Thanks.
    People who have big but impractical ideas, without giving a thought to the details, can be referred to as 'being on cloud 9' and their ideas are 'pie in the sky'. The picture is of dreaming, floating in the air.

Sensible, practical people with realistic ideas, on the other hand, are 'down to Earth' with 'their feet on the ground'; the opposite of floating in the air.

If the floaty people up there in the clouds ('in cloud cuckoo land') are forced to think about reality, the practical details, they fall from the clouds to earth. If it is sudden, shocking, and painful the do it with a bang - they hit the ground hard. A bang is to hit something hard, and/or the noise it makes.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehead View Post
    People who have big but impractical ideas, without giving a thought to the details, can be referred to as 'being on cloud 9' and their ideas are 'pie in the sky'. The picture is of dreaming, floating in the air.

Sensible, practical people with realistic ideas, on the other hand, are 'down to Earth' with 'their feet on the ground'; the opposite of floating in the air.

If the floaty people up there in the clouds ('in cloud cuckoo land') are forced to think about reality, the practical details, they fall from the clouds to earth. If it is sudden, shocking, and painful the do it with a bang - they hit the ground hard. A bang is to hit something hard, and/or the noise it makes.
    Thanks, Andrew, for the vivid and picturesque description.
    There is no more dark clouds on clound nine and in cloud cuckoo land.
    The terms you presented are really adorable.

• Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: reality bites

"Cloud Nine" is understood,what is "cloud cuckoo land" ?

• Post Thanks / Like

Cloud 9 is used when somebody has a reason for living a dream - they are in love, or their first book has been published.

Cloud cuckoo land is more negative. Cuckoo is a term used for crazy people, so cloud cuckoo land implies that they are dreaming because they are crazy.