Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Could you please give me further help as to vocabulary

    Dear teachers,

    Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

    The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Could you please give me further help as to vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

    The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I assume that you are referring to the question about the multiple choice test. I know it is frustrating when we disagree, but that is the way of language and testing. If two "experts" disagree about the answer to a question, it is very likely that the question is the problem. In one case, a question may ask for a choice between two correct answers. In another, the choice may be between two incorrect answers. That will always lead to confusion and disagreement. WE are here to help you, not to confuse you. But, sometimes, that cannot be avoided. :?

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    While there is deisagreement over some issues, this is the same in any area of academic or educational life. However, there is far more agreement thatn disagreement. I also think Mike is right about multiple choice answers. Sometimes an incorrect answer can be given that looked correct to the test writer at the time.

  4. #4
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Could you please give me further help as to vocabulary

    Dear Mike,
    Thank you for your patience. You are right. The test paper is to blame. They are really demanding and make you feel unreliable as far as their keys are concerned.
    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

    The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I assume that you are referring to the question about the multiple choice test. I know it is frustrating when we disagree, but that is the way of language and testing. If two "experts" disagree about the answer to a question, it is very likely that the question is the problem. In one case, a question may ask for a choice between two correct answers. In another, the choice may be between two incorrect answers. That will always lead to confusion and disagreement. WE are here to help you, not to confuse you. But, sometimes, that cannot be avoided. :?

  5. #5
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for supporting Mike. Now I think I should follow the majority.
    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    While there is deisagreement over some issues, this is the same in any area of academic or educational life. However, there is far more agreement thatn disagreement. I also think Mike is right about multiple choice answers. Sometimes an incorrect answer can be given that looked correct to the test writer at the time.

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must confess that Mike and I don't agree on absolutely everything.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I must confess that Mike and I don't agree on absolutely everything.
    It is not necessarily a bad point.
    That's the way we learn further.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Could you please give me further help as to vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear Mike,
    Thank you for your patience. You are right. The test paper is to blame. They are really demanding and make you feel unreliable as far as their keys are concerned.
    Jiang
    I don't blame you for being frustrated. I would be :mad:

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I must confess that Mike and I don't agree on absolutely everything.
    I agree with that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Could you please give me further help as to vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

    The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Jiang, consider the fact that Mike, tdol, Ronbee, and I live in different parts of the world. We do not speak the same dialect of English. Moreover, the same can be said to hold true for the person who wrote the questions for the multiple choice test. The test sentences are grammatical.

    All the best,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vocabulary Building
    By will mcculloch in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2009, 16:33
  2. Give in X Give up
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2004, 23:40
  3. Give in X Give up
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Apr-2004, 23:28
  4. Vocabulary Development Strategies Discussion Group
    By will mcculloch in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2003, 15:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •