Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting Edge V Inside Out

Iīve just posted this on "Ask A Teacher", but now it occurs to me that that might not have been the appropriate placeī. Apologies for duplicating the post (Iīm new!).

Hi - this question is primarily directed to other teachers, although I would be interested to know what students think too.

I have been using Cutting Edge for the past 3 years, but the time has come for me to update my books. My local supplier tells me that Inside Out is now his number one best seller for a course book. Has anyone used either of these course books? and which do you prefer?

Personally I liked Cutting Edge very much (better the devil you know?), but I guess Inside Out is his best seller for a reason (breath new life into my classes?).

It may help if I tell you that all my students are 18+, and I teach small groups of no more than 6 people. They are all Spanish.

Thanks!!

Nicole

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cutting Edge V Inside Out

I haven't used it, but this is an enthusiastic review by a teacher:
    Amazon.com: Reviews for Inside Out Advanced: Books: Helena Gomm,Jon Hird

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I haven't used it, but this is an enthusiastic review by a teacher:
    Amazon.com: Reviews for Inside Out Advanced: Books: Helena Gomm,Jon Hird
    Thanks for that - it hadnīt occurred to me to use Amazon.

So, according to that review it is:

Inside Out - 1, Cutting Edge - Nil.

Anyone disagree??

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it essential to change if you like the other, though? Has it become a cliche in Spain like Headway?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it essential to change if you like the other, though? Has it become a cliche in Spain like Headway?
    Itīs not essential to change, no, although it is essential that I upgrade at least as I have been using my current books for about 3 years now. I just wondered if I was missing out on something really good by not using Inside Out.

My supplier is in the UK, and he says Inside Out is his number one seller. I am in Spain, and to the best of my knowledge I am the only school using Cutting Edge in this city, and would be the only one using Inside Out if I switched to that.

So no problems on the cliche front either way!!

Nicole

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Put yourself two books ahead of the competition. What are they using?

Post Thanks / Like

Put yourself two books ahead of the competition. What are they using?
    From my research into the competition(!) I gather that most are using English File, Headway and another one with "Oxford" in the title that I am unfamiliar with.

I think I have made up my mind to go down the Inside Out route. I was hoping for a few more responses here, but nevermind.

Iīm sure Iīm not going to be too disappointed with Inside Out - they have to be at the top of my supplierīs list for a reason, right?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerezgirl View Post
    I have been using Cutting Edge for the past 3 years, but the time has come for me to update my books. My local supplier tells me that Inside Out is now his number one best seller for a course book. Has anyone used either of these course books? and which do you prefer?

Personally I liked Cutting Edge very much (better the devil you know?), but I guess Inside Out is his best seller for a reason (breath new life into my classes?).

I've used both, but under rather artificial circumstances. I used Inside Out for my pre-Int class (first 2 weeks of CELTA) and Cutting Edge for my Post-Int class (2nd two weeks). So I only looked at a chapter or two of each.

I preferred Cutting Edge. I liked the layout and structure better; I suspect the Teacher's Book is better too - though I found the TB for Inside Out so useless that I didn't give it a fair test. And the students were more engaged with CE - though maybe that's just because those students could engage better with the written word.

And my preference for CE could have something to do with my preference for the second group of students (both socially, and because I'm better as a teacher when dealing with the less basic stuff).

My inclination, FWIW, would be to stick with what you know.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I've used both, but under rather artificial circumstances. I used Inside Out for my pre-Int class (first 2 weeks of CELTA) and Cutting Edge for my Post-Int class (2nd two weeks). So I only looked at a chapter or two of each.

I preferred Cutting Edge. I liked the layout and structure better; I suspect the Teacher's Book is better too - though I found the TB for Inside Out so useless that I didn't give it a fair test. And the students were more engaged with CE - though maybe that's just because those students could engage better with the written word.

And my preference for CE could have something to do with my preference for the second group of students (both socially, and because I'm better as a teacher when dealing with the less basic stuff).

My inclination, FWIW, would be to stick with what you know.

b
    Oohh, just when I thought I had reached a decision...itīs now Cutting Edge - 1, Inside out -1.

If it hasnīt already become apparant, I am an incredibly indecisive person and I rely heavily on the opinions of others!! Buying a set of books at all levels, with teachersī books, work books, CDs, etc, etc is very expensive and I am quite fearful of making a mistake.!

By the sounds of it they are both fairly decent series. Maybe I should just flip a coin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerezgirl View Post
    Oohh, just when I thought I had reached a decision...itīs now Cutting Edge - 1, Inside out -1.
    Nicole, have you seen these?

Inside Out - The Art of Communication
    Inside Out - Course components for Inside Out
    Inside Out - The Art of Communication
    Inside Out - Course components for Inside Out (Reviews)

All the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast