Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: plurals

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11

    Re: plurals

    edited

    I was hoping for exceptions. :(

    From what I see they all fit into rule 1:

    1. Use -s if the word ends in a consonant + o. Error. It should read "Use -es if the word ends in a consonant + o. *This rule is incorrect. Please ignore.

    All the best,

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12

    Re: plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I was hoping for exceptions. :(

    From what I see they all fit into rule 1:

    1. Use -s if the word ends in a consonant + o.

    All the best,
    Erm...you now have me confused. Your first rule says:

    There are three general rules.

    1. Add -es if the word ends in consonant+o:
    hero, heroes
    potato, potatoes
    tomato, tomatoes.
    I produced a partial list that had words ending in a consonant + o that formed a plural with -s, not -es. Did I misunderstand?

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13

    Re: plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    [
    That's quite a list--quite a long list. Where did you find all those?

    :)
    Well, Cas's rules sounded good, particularly because I was unaware of any regularity for these plurals. But then I thought of several exceptions to rule 1. So I went to onelook.com and searched on [*bos], [*cos], and [*dos]. I stopped there. The hard part was weeding out those that have two accepted plurals, -os and -oes. This is even more complicated because, even when both are accepted, the first (preferred) listing varies between the two spellings with no real rhyme or reason.

    I will do more at some other time. :wink:

  4. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14

    Re: plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I was hoping for exceptions. :(

    From what I see they all fit into rule 1:

    1. Use -s if the word ends in a consonant + o.

    All the best,
    Erm...you now have me confused. Your first rule says:

    There are three general rules.

    1. Add -es if the word ends in consonant+o:
    hero, heroes
    potato, potatoes
    tomato, tomatoes.
    I produced a partial list that had words ending in a consonant + o that formed a plural with -s, not -es. Did I misunderstand?
    :D No, no. I'm the one who has everyone, including myself, confused. Sorry about that. Your list is wonderful, and much needed, too. You've given me some wonderful data to look at, ponder, and play with. Thanks.

    Appreciatively,

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15

    Re: plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    :D No, no. I'm the one who has everyone, including myself, confused. Sorry about that. Your list is wonderful, and much needed, too. You've given me some wonderful data to look at, ponder, and play with. Thanks.

    Appreciatively,
    Phew! You're very welcome. I am a committed word buff. I love to explore little quirks. :wink:

  6. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #16

    Re: plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas
    Write a rule for making the plurals of words ending with O
    Hello Thomas,

    Sorry about my previous post. It was incorrect. I hope the following information will make up for that. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by www.web.ask.com

    Is it -os or -oes?

    a. For most words that end in -o, simply add -s for the plural form. These include:

    1) words of Spanish or Italian origin, especially those connected with music e.g. cello/cellos, piano/pianos, soprano/sopranos, concerto/concertos;

    2) words where there is another vowel in front of the -o e.g. studio/studios, patio/patios, zoo/zoos, cuckoo/cuckoos, kangaroo/kangaroos

    3) words that are abbreviations e.g. rhino/rhinos (rhino = rhinoceros), hippo/hippos (hippo = hippopotamus), kilo/kilos (kilo = kilogram), photo/photos (photo = photograph)

    There are some exceptions.

    A) Certain words ending in -o take -es for the plural form. These include: domino/dominoes, echo/echoes, hero/heroes, potato/potatoes, tomato/tomatoes

    B) Certain words ending in -o can take either -es or -s. These include:
    mango/mangoes (or mangos), mosquito/mosquitoes (or mosquitos), tornado/tornadoes (or tornados), volcano/volcanoes (or volcanos)
    All the best,

  7. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #17
    Good find, Cas! :D

    (Note: dominos or dominoes.)

    :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Irregular Plurals
    By Emmanuel OA in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2004, 06:52
  2. nouns whose plurals are identical to singular
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Jul-2004, 11:14
  3. Irregular Plurals
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Nov-2003, 12:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •