• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pish

I think the word "Pish" is an expression.Am I right?
    I want to know in which situation I can use this expression.
    Is this a old usge or at present also is it in use?
    Are Europeans(native speakers) using this term in their daily life?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pish

It's an ejaculation, expressing disbelief - very dated, though I have heard it used in a mock-historical context (for example, mocking an out-dated moral view- point). Best avoided.

b

Post Thanks / Like

pish
    interj.
    Used to express disdain.
    (from free online dictionary)

Pish, a Scots word, may refer to:

An imitated bird call (usually an alarm call) used to attract birds (generally Passerines)
    An expletive literally meaning urine or urination, corresponding to piss
    (from Wikipedia)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Pish often goes with tush (and for American readers that's /tʌʃ/ not /tʊʃ/ ). Whereas pish indicates disdain tush indicates disapproval: 'I say pish and tush to all this Interweb jiggery-pokery; and fie, forsooth'. [None of this is recommended 21st cent. usage!]

b

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pish and tush are Yiddish words. Pish means urinate and tush means buttocks.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    Pish and tush are Yiddish words. Pish means urinate and tush means buttocks.
    That's what I was afraid of - and why I added my note on pronunciation. My Shorter Oxford English Dictionary dates 'tush' to 1440. If the word came to English by way of Yiddish speakers in America I'd expect a much later date. It's a different word, /tʌʃ/ (rhyming with hush).

(Online Etymology Dictionary - I expect the author got it from the same source.)

b

Post Thanks / Like

Heb. tahat "beneath."
    The Maltese word for 'beneath' is taht. After all, Maltese is a semitic language.
    Excuse the digression.

winston is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    Heb. tahat "beneath."
    The Maltese word for 'beneath' is taht. After all, Maltese is a semitic language.
    Excuse the digression.
    I am an Indian. In India there are many states (provinces). Every state has one regional language. I am living in Tamilnadu state. My mother tongue is Tamil. When I refer to Tamil dictionary it gives an expression for the word pish. There is nothing special in it. But we can think in that view or angle. It gives a meaning like Ďchi-chi-cheeí in Tamil. But you canít understand what this is. So I would like to give one situation to you to understand this.

Situation:
    Letís consider that there is a dog, which is sitting near to a woman, who is having a child with her. The dog is very dirty. Now the child walks slowly and reaches to the dog. At the end of the movement before the child touches the dog, the childís mother notices the situation and tells her child like "chi-chi-chee! donít touch it. It is dirty. Come here". Here I would like to mention one thing. Generally when we disgust one thing, we could express this expression chi-chi-chee.

I donít know how well you have understood. I am looking for a word instead of chi-chi-chee, if pish is not suitable.When we dislike or disgust a person's habit, decency, moral,etc...........,how would we express?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand perfectly because in Maltese we have a similar expression. In Malta we talk to our children in English and we often mix Maltese words with English words. So, we might tell a small boy 'Piff/piff jaqq...don't touch it' but the 'piff/piff jaqq' part is Maltese. An English native speaker will tell you the equivalent in English. At the moment I can't think what it is.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    ...Letís consider that there is a dog, which is sitting near to a woman, who is having a child with her. The dog is very dirty. Now the child walks slowly and reaches to the dog. At the end of the movement before the child touches the dog, the childís mother notices the situation and tells her child like "chi-chi-chee! donít touch it. It is dirty. Come here". Here I would like to mention one thing. Generally when we disgust one thing, we could express this expression chi-chi-chee.

I donít know how well you have understood. I am looking for a word instead of chi-chi-chee, if pish is not suitable.When we dislike or disgust a person's habit, decency, moral,etc...........,how would we express?
    You might say 'yuck' (often written 'ugh' - which signifies the [x] sound at the end); a childish form of this is 'icky'. Or the mother might just say 'Dirty'.

b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast