Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: grammar

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    grammar

    Dear teachers,
    I am sorry to bother you again. Last time I asked a question on error correction. The sentence is as follows:

    Thus, how often they make eye contact and how long they sustain that contact can indicate their degree of intimacy, interest or understanding of what they are communicating verbally.

    Since I got different answers I am just wondering if I should change 'or' in front of 'understanding' to 'and'.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I am sorry to bother you again. Last time I asked a question on error correction. The sentence is as follows:

    Thus, how often they make eye contact and how long they sustain that contact can indicate their degree of intimacy, interest or understanding of what they are communicating verbally.

    Since I got different answers I am just wondering if I should change 'or' in front of 'understanding' to 'and'.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I don't think it matters very much. It changes the meaning to say that the eye contact indicates the degree of all three things: intimacy, interest, and understanding.


    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 258
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: grammar

    I agree with NY Mike.

    In such cases I prefer using "or/and".

    What do you think? :wink:

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    I agree with NY Mike.

    In such cases I prefer using "or/and".

    What do you think? :wink:
    Usually it is and/or. In this case, I think that is clear even with just "or".

    :wink:


    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 258
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: grammar

    Thanks for correcting.

    8)

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Thanks for correcting.

    8)
    You're welcome, Henry. It was a very minor point. :wink:


    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 258
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Thanks for correcting.

    8)
    You're welcome, Henry. It was a very minor point. :wink:


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: grammar

    Thank you so your explanation.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I am sorry to bother you again. Last time I asked a question on error correction. The sentence is as follows:

    Thus, how often they make eye contact and how long they sustain that contact can indicate their degree of intimacy, interest or understanding of what they are communicating verbally.

    Since I got different answers I am just wondering if I should change 'or' in front of 'understanding' to 'and'.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I don't think it matters very much. It changes the meaning to say that the eye contact indicates the degree of all three things: intimacy, interest, and understanding.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Thank you so your explanation.

    Jiang
    You're welcome. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. what is the base of Grammar in English?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2009, 11:58
  2. Teaching Grammar
    By Red5 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2007, 10:13
  3. corrections help
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2003, 18:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •